Vintage-Style Egg Co. Stencil Kitchen Art

I’ve become a bit obsessed with stencils- designing and cutting my own on a Silhouette Cameo. I have a list a mile long of creative ideas I plan to try with them. I’m also experimenting with stencil tools when not spraying paint or ink, such as pouncers, sponges, and stencil brushes, including a couple of antique railroad stencil brushes I picked up at an antiques store that work beautifully on flat hard surfaces!Today I pulled out one of my 48 by 40 brand small pallet canvas and went to work on a decorative piece for our kitchen trying out a basic craft store stencil brush. I painted one of my layered designs using a stencil cut from a plastic scrapbook paper hanging file folder opened flat and trimmed to 12″ x 20″ and fed into the Silhouette on a 12″ x 24″ cutting mat. I used repositionable spray adhesive on the back of each stencil.Cathe-Holden-Stencil-Pallet-09I added another “Market Goods” stencil cut off along the bottom. Once all paint was dry, I sanded the surface a bit to distress the paint. I then added some metal pieces from around the studio using vintage hardware.Cathe-Holden-Stencil-Pallet-02 I didn’t screw the small tool tags in all the way, so they hang loose from the wood.To finish the corners of the canvas I used vintage aluminum plant labels, bent in half, hammered on with nails, and banged up a bit with the mallet side of my hammer.Cathe-Holden-Stencil-Pallet-04This project, from stencil cutting to hanging, was completed in about two hours. I hung it over the stove on the tile backsplash using Command Strips.Here are a few fun facts related to this project:

• My sign was designed to coordinate with the farmhouse decor of our newly remodeled kitchen boasting concrete countertops, an 8-foot windmill blade structure, and patchwork maple wood floors.
  • B. D. Holden is my 19 year-old son, Bennett Drew Holden. (He may or may not approve of me using his name for my sign. I’m taking my chances.)
  • Bennett worked over a year recently at a local egg farm collecting, sorting, and washing eggs, and maintaining ranch property. (He is currently in college studying to be a firefighter, working intern & sleeper shifts at Gold Ridge Fire Dept. in Sebastopol, California, and a lifeguard at the nearby Coast Guard Base.)
  • Petaluma, our beloved town, has long been known as the “World’s Egg Basket”.
  • There’s actually an egg related controversy currently happening in Petaluma right now!

But back to the topic at hand…I’d REALLY like to know your creative thoughts on stencils and stencilling:

• Have you used stencils?
  • How- with what tools and medium?
  • What for- papercrafting, mixed media, home decor, furniture embellishing, other?
  • What kind of stencils or stencil products would you like to see on the market?

Please share in the comments below.

This entry was posted in Home Decor, mixed media, Stencilling, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Vintage-Style Egg Co. Stencil Kitchen Art

1. #1 - berta says:

Cathe, I love your stenciled sign!
    I have stenciled my walls, using commercial decor stencils and craft paint and use them now in my paper crafting, with ink and mists.
    I would love to learn how to make my own designs on my Cameo.

• #2 - Rupa says:

Berta, May I suggest some youtube videos that show how to cut your own stencils? They really are quite simple to do once you learn about stencil material (could be book covers/transparencies/acetate sheets etc) and blade settings. Hope this helps 🙂 This is how I learned it.

2. #3 - Katie says:

i make freezer paper stencils on tshirts. I would love to see simple kid-friendly (especially boy!) designs.

3. #4 - KatieK. says:

Your egg project reminds me of an egg crate my college roommate & I found at a flea market in NJ. We got it for about $5 and used it for a coffee table in our college apt. As I scrolled through the post with the photos of your project, I really did expect to see you fixing up an antique egg crate – you captured the look perfectly! The egg crate is still in use – my roommate let me keep it!

I would like to have more options for DIY stencils: learning how to use available materials and have more materials to purchase to create stencils/masks with – I don’t own an electronic die cutting machine. While I would love to buy more stencils, I want to also create my own to reflect my design ideas. Agree with Katie re: more options for boys/guys.

4. #5 - GMGlimmerglass says:

WOW! Your the crate stencil art piece is wonderful and “Inspired!”
    The metal plant tag corners are genius. You always amaze me. Thanks.

I like to stencil large areas like floors, glass windows, doors and table tops and would like to have more cool repeat patterns available.

I also have created my own vector files and cut my own stencils using a laser cutter at a local sign shop. I still use the old fashioned stencil oil board from Dick Blick and like that better than plastic.

Just south of us is another Egg Capital – Winlock, WA – where they have an egg festival and even a giant egg sculpture in the middle of town. Fun focus for an entire little town!

5. #6 - Heather says:

Like you, I’m obsessed with creating my own stencils. I use a Sizzix eClips to cut my designs, and find that I get great results using plastic report covers as stencil material.

I use my stencils in a variety of ways, but one of my favorites is to embellish the surface of furniture with raised patterns. Drywall compound adheres very well to most surfaces, and once it has been sealed with a layer of paint or glaze, it becomes extremely sturdy and resistant to everyday wear and tear.

It’s a lot of fun to create stencils to use with the Gelli Plate, as well. The whole process of designing/cutting stencils is incredibly addictive. I rarely purchase commercially produced stencils any more, because the freedom of designing your own is so intoxicating.

Thanks for this great post – your projects are always so inspiring!

6. #7 - Donna DeFord says:

Hello and thanks for the great ideas. In the past I have joined boards together with a thin piece of wood to brace it. However, I was wondering what method you think best, and also wondered how it would work to join the pieces together with a metal screwed in tab such as the one shown on the front of your egg pallet board. Thanks again!

7. #8 - Rupa says:

I love stencils of all sizes/designs. I have made several 6×6 ones using my little silhouette portrait. I want to make large ones with French text (I love French and I speak it too) but don’t have a cameo. I love your stencil project, great and perfect as usual! May I ask, please…..if you could share the stencil material you use when cutting stencils on Cameo? I have tried several and settle on Show Offs brand from Hobby Lobby but they are quite thick I must say! I want to try book covers (acetate type) or transparencies but I have to buy a box of 100 for transparencies I think. Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you experience. TFS!

• #9 - Rupa says:

Oh, I forgot mention that I use stencils in my greeting cards, art tags, journal pages and I used one on a wooden sign with chalkboard surface! I found a chalk sign board with nice curves at the clearance section of HL, I painted it white (decoart chalk finish) and stenciled French text on it. I love how it turned out, my first ever DIY like that I must say 🙂