Plasti Dip Paint by Number & Embossed Pot Luck Utensils

I’ve seen some pretty neat ideas online using Plasti Dip, many for the handles of tools, silverware and utensils. Plasti Dip comes in a few primary colors and black, but I purchased the PLASTI DIP Rubber Coating Color Kit for creating custom colors and it occurred to me that I could craft something with the just the clear base as well. (And it turns out that you can also buy Clear Plasti Dip without the color kit!) My inspiration for a project came last week after we purchased a 1972 Holiday Rambler Vacationer travel trailer off of Craigslist for jaunts to the beach and other spontaneous camp-outs. It’s in really nice shape and I’m looking forward to kitsching it out.Cathe-Holden-PDip-HRV The interior is just as you would imagine- wood paneling and faux wood paneling, avocado green upholstery, and harvest gold appliances. I’ve no plans to take it out of its era, I’m embracing the 70s full on with this trailer. To start, I have been going through my paint-by-number collection looking for just the right ones to display. Then it occurred to me that I could use an image of one of those paintings in a Plasti Dip project. So I purchased a set of six bamboo kitchen utensils at Home Goods for under $4 and got to work.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-01I used my desktop printer/copier to copy sections of the painting reduced to 40% to fit nicely on the lower section of the handles.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-02I traced both front and back of each handle to the back of the color copies.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-03 The handles are quite different one from the other so every side needed to be traced.  I then trimmed out individually with scissors.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-04Once cut, the paper was laminated to the handles with Mod Podge.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-05Once coated and slightly dry, I gently pushed the paper through the hole areas to allow the utensils to be hung on hooks if I so choose at some point. After the Mod Podge had completely dried, I was ready to dip the handles following the directions on the can of Plasti Dip. I dipped each handle into the can of clear Plasti Dip to just above the paper image, so as to seal it off from any future moisture.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-07 I used a small dowel to poke through the dip puddling into the holes to keep them open.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-08I suspended the dipped utensils from small clamps along the clothesline by a window in my barn studio set up just for drying crafts, and allowed each coat to dry. I dipped the handles only twice as I think that the clear can get a bit too foggy if over dipped.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-09 Drying time between coats is 30 minutes and final drying time is 4 hours. I kept a good eye on things the first 5 minutes or so after hanging, as this is when drips start to happen if they are going to and can easily be wiped away from the bottom of the handle before they form into rubbery icicles.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-10The final pieces make a really fun serving set for our little “Kitsch-along”. Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-12 Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-13Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-11Another set for the trailer and for taking to pot-luck events were made by applying our name to utensil handles using dimensional alphabet stickers from the craft store.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-20I mixed yellow with just a dab of blue and black to make an avocado green color.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-19I used a sponge brush to paint the Plasti Dip over the letters and along the front and back of the handle.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-18 What appears as too much shrinks down quite a bit when dry.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-17I covered these utensils with three coats of Plasti Dip, with drying time between each.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-16Since these will be used in the travel trailer, there’s no concern of them becoming damaged in the dishwasher. Though they may hold up just fine, I think it might be best to hand-wash dipped items just in case.Cathe-Holden-Plasti-Dip-15When using Plasti Dip, be sure you are working in a well ventilated area- the chemical fumes can become quite overwhelming otherwise. Once dry, there is no odor to speak of from the finished pieces.

This entry was posted in Camping, paint by number, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Plasti Dip Paint by Number & Embossed Pot Luck Utensils

1. #1 - Maria (Magia Mia) says:

Absolutely brilliant Cathe!

2. #2 - Meghan Thimjon says:

So clever and I love the trailer! How exciting!

3. #3 - Mz V says:

You continue to amaze me with your creative, generous heart! I LOVE this latest project! Thank you for sharing your gifts with all of us.

4. #4 - Jeanne Crockett says:

Cathe. Cathe. Cathe. Your projects ALWAYS touch me. I can’t wait to try this—they are just the coolest thing ever. Perfect housewarming present, too. I love the paint-by-number kitsch, too, but my artist husband does not. Oh, well. The world is full of great images!

5. #5 - Tania says:

I love this project, how unique! And I’m excited to watch as you kitsch out your new trailer! I have a smaller 13′ 1967 Scotsman that I redid last summer.

Tania

6. #6 - Julia D. says:

Just love it! Your so darn good….
    Thanks for sharing.

7. #7 - maggie says:

oh my gosh, the Crafting Goddess is at it again! Fantastic project…love the raised letters especially!!…and the dog already at home on the couch-ette :-)

8. #8 - berta says:

You are so clever! These are so fun! I also noticed that the dogs already think of the new trailer as home :)

9. #9 - Juliet Kelly says:

I bet all your dreams involve crafting something. This is a great idea and I really love the raised letters spoons. The one problem I seem to be having with images from the printer coupled with Mod Podge is that it smears the image. Not sure how to correct that-I’m using a regular old ink jet printer and letting the images dry for 24 hours. Anyway-thanks for another inspirational idea!
    P.S. how pristine is that stove top in your bitchen trailer? Wow!

10. #12 - Anne says:

can you make this paint by number image available. so much fun for our cabin!

11. #13 - Karen on Bainbridge Island, WA says:

Amazing, simply amazing. I love paint by numbers and this is just so creative it makes my head spin

12. #14 - martina says:

I’ve never heard of PlastiDip, it sounds like a fun thing to use. Your project looks great. Could you do the same thing using wooden bowls?

13. #15 - Amy M. says:

I have never heard of Plasti Dip before! I absolutely love your HOLDEN utensils. And I equal parts excited for you and jealous about your new Rambler! How cool!!!

14. #16 - Shelly says:

Oh, I love these! I am definitely going to keep my eyes open for flat handled wooden utensils. Great idea!

15. #17 - Juliet Kelly says:

Thanks for the sound advice-I’ll keep in mind the next time I buy a printer. Wait. I think I need to buy a new printer NOW!

16. #18 - Sue McIsaac says:

Love these, Cathe. I might give it a whirl.

17. #19 - Alexis @ Persia Lou says:

Oh wow! These are so cool I’ve never seen this plasti-dip stuff. I really love the three dimensional effect with the second set. If you had a second to come by and link up with us at The Makers link party over on my blog, that would be great! :)

18. #20 - Lyn says:

I had no idea Plasti Dip came in clear, I have used black on the wood handles of my wheelbarrow and have seen red and yellow but apparently I have been out of the Plasti Dip loop. Going to go look for some and if I don’t do wooden utensils I’ll think of something.

19. #21 - MichelleB says:

Love this idea! We’re renovating a camper too and I think both of these would be fun to make for it!

20. Pingback: Centsational Girl » Blog Archive Airstream Dreamin’ » Centsational Girl

21. Pingback: Airstream Dreamin’ | JanNews Blog