Craftcation 2013

JSIM-VenturaGreetings from beautiful Ventura, California. I drove the 8 hours or so down from Northern California on Wednesday to attend the Craftcation Indie Business & DIY Conference 2013! So worth the drive. That’s the view from the balcony of my hotel room!JSIMCraftcationButtons Yesterday I spoke on Blog Perspectives and did my very first book signing last night at the opening celebration & barbeque. I’ve had the privilege of meeting some pretty amazing women so far, both presenters and attendees. Already, I’ve been moved by such beautiful souls. If you ever have a chance to attend such an event, I really encourage you. It’s a whole community of people who really get you!PRIZE-RIBBON-BROOCH-2 PRIZE-RIBBON-BROOCH-1

On Saturday I will be leading a workshop on crafting Prize Ribbon Rosette Brooches, like the ones shown above and I’ve procured some pretty awesome sponsored goodies for my workshop!JSIM-Craftcation-Sponsors The Xyron 1.5″ Create-a-Sticker- I’ve become quite enamored with all things Xyron lately. I don’t know how I’ve been crafting without these products for so many years. I LOVE XYRON! Each attendee will receive their own Xyron Sticker Maker with a 20′ adhesive cartridge.

I was turned onto Beacon’s 3-in-1 Adhesive a couple of years ago by my friend Suzonne Stirling, a woman who knows her stuff. I’ve been hooked ever since. Although many of my rosette projects are assembled using hot glue, 3-in-1 is the best alternative I’ve found when hot glue guns aren’t an option, like with large workshops. It also has a more flexible finish when dry, unlike the hard, rigid effect you can get with hot glue. So it is just right for these rosette brooches.

And finally, Blue Moon Beads has sponsored the beautiful beads for these projects. The 4mm silver metal beads are heavy, super shiny and gorgeous, and the multiple strands of clear glass seed beads each attendee will receive are excellent for coordinating with any color ribbon and centerpiece graphic.

I’m off now to sit on the panel discussion, Packaging & Merchandising. I’ll leave you with this-

In the lobby of the event, there is a chicken wire board filled with hopes and goals for the year written by anyone who wants to share theirs. Mine is the yellow one. It’s something that brings me great joy when it happens.JSIMcraftcationBoard

8 Responses to Craftcation 2013

1. #1 - Mary Ann Potter says:

What a beautiful place! I love the photos of the pins and ribbons. Happy Craftcation, Cathe!

2. #2 - Michelle Saunders says:

I want to learn how to make this crafty goodness! Too far away to attend a class :(

3. #3 - pattie says:

I love what you wrote down. I was going though some emails from 2009 and I found a few from you. I’m sorry I’ve gotten so wrapped up in my blogging life that I forgot a lot of what got me here. I can’t wait to catch up on everything that you’ve been up to here. Lots of love and hugs.

4. #4 - Dulsanna says:

I love the pics of Ventura. I grew up in Cal, and this was one of the places I lived. I also loved all the paint chip tags. When I was growing up in the great state of Northern California, we lived around the corner from a hardware store. I LOVED the paint chip, and later grew to be a graphic designer who loved the PANTONE book : )

the fan who you send the truck charm to!

5. #5 - Julia D. says:

What a great place and hope you had a very fullfilling time! The Beacon 3-1 glue sounds great for many of my projects and I will definitely have to look for it. Also, your ribbon rosettes are darling and so lucky for others to learn your great craft of making them. You sure live in a great area to be able to attend such wonderful events.
    Thanks for sharing with us!

6. #6 - delilah says:

cathe, i dont even know if i can say what i feel properly but it was really special that i met you. my words dont do this justice, but know that you are incredible and i am thinking about our next convo/adventure/craftcation/anything to hang out- you are a great woman and i am thankful to have met you!

viva craftcation and cant wait for 2014!! XXOO

7. #7 - Mitzi Curi says:

I love attending special events and workshops like Craftcation! I’m sure it was a great time. I can’t wait to get my hands on the Rosette book, so I can start crafting my own versions of your fantastic rosettes….I have so many great vintage items saved up for such projects!

8. #8 - Morgan Culture says:

Cathe, I was honored to help your workshops run during Craftcation! Thanks for your suggestions at the round table… I am employing your advice for store displays of my leggings! Your ideas were fantastic; thanks for your inspiration and hope to see you with us again next year!