Castle in the Air: A Creative Slice of Heaven

I am currently serving on a jury in the US District Court in San Francisco. Court was in session last week and looks like it may be another week or so until this case is over. So far, it’s been a very interesting experience and I’m quite glad to be there. But needless to say, I’m not getting much crafting time in as I’d like. I’m up and out the door at 5:15 am each morning for the commute into the city, but luckily we are dismissed daily around 1:00pm. So instead of driving straight home some days, I’m taking advantage of being in the Bay Area and hitting a few creative shops in the afternoons. The other day I drove over to Berkeley to one of my favorite little ones- Castle in the Air.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-34 I was shopping for a few craft workshop supplies, specifically Dresden trim. So while there with my iPhone in hand, I took lots of photos to share with you just how incredible this dreamy wonderland is. If you see some supplies you like in the photos, there’s a very good chance you can find them in the Castle in the Air Online Shoppe.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-35If you live in the Bay Area or plan to visit, be sure to check out their exciting line-up of classes. You can keep up with Castle in the Air by subscribing to their newsletter, liking them on Facebook and visiting their blog. Now, sit back and enjoy the show:JSIM-CastleInTheAir-11JSIM-CastleInTheAir-30 JSIM-CastleInTheAir-08JSIM-CastleInTheAir-12JSIM-CastleInTheAir-01Aimée Baldwin’s Vegan Taxidermy- JSIM-CastleInTheAir-02Antique reprint paper models you can construct yourself. JSIM-CastleInTheAir-03 JSIM-CastleInTheAir-04 JSIM-CastleInTheAir-05 JSIM-CastleInTheAir-06 JSIM-CastleInTheAir-07Paper, paper, paper.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-09And more paper!JSIM-CastleInTheAir-20Sweet little supplies. JSIM-CastleInTheAir-10JSIM-CastleInTheAir-14Curiosities.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-15The book nook. I spy lots of Chronicle Books titles. My fingers are crossed I’ll find my book in there one day!JSIM-CastleInTheAir-17Breathtaking assortment of fine pens.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-32JSIM-CastleInTheAir-187Beautiful tools.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-19 Dresden trims. JSIM-CastleInTheAir-21 German glass glitter.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-22Crepe paper galore.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-23Antique handcrafts on display.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-24JSIM-CastleInTheAir-28Stationery.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-25JSIM-CastleInTheAir-16Ribbons, trims, & trinkets.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-26JSIM-CastleInTheAir-27Fresh twine just arriving.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-29Handmade leather goods.JSIM-CastleInTheAir-33JSIM-CastleInTheAir-31Here’s my little bit of loot from the day.photoI hope you enjoyed the tour. There are so many more things to see at Castle in the Air than I can share in one blog post. Please visit their store in Berkeley California or their website to see just what I mean.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Castle in the Air: A Creative Slice of Heaven

1. #1 - Elaine says:

Wonderful tour, Cathe! So sad to be so far from the East Coast! But like the best buffets, I would have too hard a time choosing and might have had to leave only feasting on eye-candy.

2. #2 - Jessica Okui says:

Castle in the Air is one of my absolute favorite shops! Every time I visit 4th street that’s one of my first stops. There’s also a lovely handmade paper store over there as well. Not sure if you saw it during your trip but it’s definitely worth visiting.

3. #3 - wendy baker says:

how on earth did you come away with such a small stash? i want all of those crepe papers.
    xow.

4. #4 - wendy baker says:

how on earth did you come away with such a small stash? i want all of those crepe papers AND the german glass glitter.
    xow.

5. #5 - Maria (Magia Mia) says:

Sensory overload…..I feel faint…..:)

That place appears to be an antist’s Mothership. I’d never want to leave.

6. #6 - Debra NaDell says:

Thank you Cathe! I have always believed one of the secrets to happiness is to make the best of any situation. Some people would rush back home. I’ve always told the kids to always take time to go see something new if you are blessed with the chance. What a beautiful place.

7. #7 - alicia says:

Way to make the best of an unplanned situation. I’ve been called for jury duty twice in the last few years but never selected. I hope someday I’ll have n opportunity to serve. Kudos for not finding an excuse.

8. #8 - Caroline B says:

I am amazed you only came away with that little collection of goodies – I think I would have had to be thrown out of the shop at closing time. Incredible place!

9. #9 - Irina says:

OMG, so shops like this really do exist…wow! What an amazing place. If I ever visit San Francisco i will have this on my list. Lovely photos , I felt like I was in the shop.

10. #10 - Tracy says:

Love the photos – what a wonderful spot! I served on the Grand Jury a few years back – every Friday for two months. It was a fascinating experience. I was glad to serve, but hope that I don’t have to do that length again.

11. #11 - Amy says:

I love that store but haven’t been in a long time. I’ve always wanted to take a class there. I met one of the Castle in the Air teachers at ART IS YOU last year!!!

12. #12 - WendiG says:

What a wonderful store..I could spend an entire day there, I think…
    Eons ago, (well, the 60’s-70’s) when I used to spend time between Los Angeles and San Francisco, there were little oases of creativity like this that I loved to go to..
    One of the few things I miss. Thanks for the sentimental journey, and I’ll be checking out their online store, but it really isn’t the same as being there, is it?

13. Pingback: CraftCrave | Blog | Freebies for Printable Scrapbooking or Cardmaking (large): Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013

14. #13 - Rupa says:

15. #14 - Rupa says:

Oh I have actually been here when I visited my family in Dec 2011! It’s a love store, I especially loved vegan taxidermy! I bought some double colored crepe papers there. So precious that I haven’t used them yet :)