Country Living Typewriter Pocket Pillow

CL-HC-Typewriter-Pillow-CoverThough it’s only January, there’s already love in the air for those of us who craft months in advance of special holidays. The latest example is my typewriter pocket pillow featured in the February 2013 issue of Country Living just out this week and in time for Valentine’s day crafting. It’s a super easy sewing project utilizing Melody Miller fabric with instructions on page 44 along with information on downloading the pocket template. Instructions will also be on CountryLiving.com very soon, I’ll post here when they are.

Here’s one of my first smaller pillow prototypes on cream duck cloth.CL-Cathe-Holden-Typewriter-Pillow-1

Isn’t that typewriter print darling?JSIM-typewriters.blue

Maybe I’m partial, being the owner of a similar vintage portable Royal typewriter that I love.Cathe-Holden-TypewriterI’m quite smitten by designer Melody Miller’s work. Her Ruby Star Sparkle telephones are so fun, and I am hooked on this color palette that you’ll soon see showing up here and there in my new studio.  JSIM-phones_ring_a_ling So tell me, have you sewn anything lately by machine or hand?

This entry was posted in Country Living Magazine, CountryLiving.com, Decorating, Holiday Crafts, Valentines Day and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Country Living Typewriter Pocket Pillow

1. #1 - greta says:

I love Melody Miller too and have just made a messenger bag with some of her teacups – I was so excited to see this post as I have also made a typewriter cushion if you would like to have a look http://ontopofalilypad.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/letter-for-friend.html

2. #2 - Elaine says:

So cute! Ah, the lure of new fabric…
    I’ve been working my way through a stash of repro 30’s fabrics that I bought a number of years ago. I have been making crib-size donation quilts and I am so excited to see the end in sight! It makes me sew more :) Squares at the machine and only a small stack of strips and shapes still to be used! When the last of this fabric is sewn, you will probably hear my cheer from here on the east coast!
    Of course, that isn’t really the end of stashing…
    But I know I’m going to need to make a typewriter pillow pocket or two…

3. #3 - Peg says:

I made some catnip “pillows” for a few kitties I know. Sewed them by hand because they are really not that particular about things.

4. #4 - Heather says:

I have to share my dentist story with you!!

So, my tooth broke the other day and my dentist got me right in. I was reading a Country Living issue from last year (February maybe?) and came across your folded airplane note article. The dentist came in, so I put the magazine down. One of the techs came in to talk to the dentist, saw the article, and left with the magazine when she was done talking. When my appointment was over, I saw them in the hallways shooting each other notes, via copies of your plane! It was the funnest thing and they were having a blast!!

You’re fantastic!!

5. #5 - Amber Walker says:

I adore that pillow! I don’t know where you scored that typewriter fabric, but I know I’ll be on the hunt….

I don’t sew as much as I should to really stay in good practice, but it just so happens that I made a fussy valance trimmed in ball fringe out of an old 60’s tablecloth today. The guest room is getting a fresh look, and my Mother just happened to give me the perfect piece of fabric to inspire and tie it all together! Thanks for the inspiration, so much of your blog is gorgeous!

6. #6 - Leslie says:

Super cute and I adore your own vintage typewriter!

I’m putting together some fabric strips to do a month-long quilt-a-long with http://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/2013/1/1/the-its-a-new-year-sewalong.

And, as Christmas gifts for my daycare clients, I made super hero capes!

7. #7 - bonnie says:

I have to tell you, that’s such a cute and clever project.
    Wouldn’t typewriter fabric make an excellent ipad cover?

8. #8 - Jenn :) says:

That pillow is adorable!! :D Congrats on having it featured ;)

9. #9 - Julia D. says:

Just love the typewriter print, as well as the adorable telephones. I have a collection of typewriters and one very similar to your Royal. I love to sew and have made some great items for my adorable grandkids in the last year. I love fabrics and should really get on sewing up some more projects. Thanks for the darling ideas and can’t wait to see your article in the new County Living magazine.

10. #10 - Julia D. says:

So how does a crafter get their hands on some of Melody Miller’s fabric? I just love it!

11. #11 - Shannon says:

Hi Cathe,

A little tribute on my blog today just for you. :)

Shannon

12. #12 - Claire says:

Melody Miller is one of my favorite fabric designers, but I don’t always know how to use her fabric. To me it’s more art than wear, and so it’s great to see how you’ve used it. Thanks so much!

13. #13 - Laura B says:

I just received my Feb. issue as a gift and I am loving it. Loved you cute pillow featured on page 44. The wall hanging in the picuture also caught my eye and wondered if you knew anything about it. It looks knit.
    I have also just had a wonderful hour checking out the other items on your site and expect I may spend a few more on all the lovely items you have posted.

14. #14 - Cara says:

Hi Cathe,

Your pillow is gorgeous; the colors, the design — I love everything about it! Would be you willing to make and sell one of these to me? I’m crafty, though not so much with a sewing machine. Let me know!

~ Cara