Paper Crafting: Making & Utilizing Rosette Forms

Once again, necessity is the mother of invention. When crafting rosettes as product prototypes, I would often find that the unique paper I wanted to use was in short supply as well as the fact that I am a very frugal crafter and can hardly stand to use more material than I have to for any project. And so, I developed homemade rosette forms. With a form, you can use the same length of paper and create various sizes of rosettes, like the two below that were crafted using identical size paper strips.

Just as important as maximizing your papers, using forms also makes for more perfectly shaped rounds and the inner circle area of the finished rosettes, should you be leaving that area exposed when crafting a small wreath shape, for example.

Before making forms, I was using everything from vintage Tupperware hamburger patty containers (so great if you can find them), sauce pans, and any other flat bottom/straight sided round container in my house. But it occurred to me that I could actually make my own and make them to the sizes I wanted, and so my custom rosette forms were born. These forms are also shared in my upcoming book, Rosette Art, but here on my blog I am able to give a bit more information and imagery.

To make the forms, purchase inexpensive embroidery hoops of various sizes from 4 to 8 inches. These usually cost under $2 each.

Removed the outer rings and used only the inner rings for the forms.

Cut heavy chip board intoto 8-inches squares for mounting the hoops. You can also use foam core or cardboard.With a glue gun and hot glue, add small dots along the rim of a hoop,

and mount to the center of the board. Using too much hot glue may cause puddles to dry into the ring form and may affect your rosette shapes. Continue assembling the remaining hoops and boards.Mark the size on each board with a marker, rubber stamps or number stickers.To make smaller form sizes, use smaller embroidery hoops or the center ring of rolls of tape such as masking tape and craft tape.

Using Rosette Forms

Here is an example of how a rosette form can be used to save paper and create large rosettes. I trimmed two identical strips of vintage shelf paper edging. You may need to experiment with scrap paper to determine the best width paper strips for your projects as there is hard-set formula for width, length and final rosette diameter. In my opinion, it comes down to final effect preference. However, if your paper strip is too short, you may be unable to collapse the final rosette into shape and can tear your precious paper along the folds. TIP: The narrower the paper strip, the more expandable it is.

I scored each paper strip with a stylus on a scoring board and accordion folded each.

With paper adhesive, I glued each strip into a round. I punched out circles for each rosette from heavy cardstock and placed one on a non-form surface and the other in the center of a rosette form. I placed the folded paper rounds over the cardstock circles.I made a pool of hot glue with the glue gun on the smaller cardstock circle and collapsed the paper round over it, pressing the entire piece inward toward the center and holding until the glue cooled. For the larger rosette, I placed hot glue around the outer area of the cardstock circle and collapsed that paper round over it, allowing the paper to expand to the inner wall of the rosette form and holding in place until the glue cooled.

This can also be achieved, by collapsing the folded paper rounds inside out and adding glue to the center areas from the backside before pressing a cardstock circle onto it and holding in place until the glue cools.Cover glue areas with another rosette or centerpiece. If you are crafting a wreath with an open center, craft a heavy cardstock circle nearly as large as the final rosette with an area cut from the center that is large enough so as not to show through the final rosette center. Heavy cardstock backing may necessary for wreath shape rosettes to keep the rosette from curling in on itself unless the wreath will be ultimately adhered to another surface, such as a greeting card like the Chevron Wreath from Paper-Source. Utilizing rosette forms will keep your wreaths perfectly circular along the outer and inner edges.

This entry was posted in Paper Crafts, Rosettes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Paper Crafting: Making & Utilizing Rosette Forms

1. #1 - Carol Sandretto-Unsinger says:

This is a wonderful idea!! It certainly give more options for sizes than the current paper dies on the market – thanks for the inspiration!!

2. #2 - Mandy says:

Amazing thinking once again! Love the rosettes and can’t wait for your book! Wish they could have had it ready for Christmas.

3. #3 - Heather Ales says:

Oh my heck… what a brilliant tip! And, so well stepped out. I’ve never thought of doing it that way. That is why YOU are the author!!

4. #4 - Alison W says:

WOW! I love this idea! I have always struggled with how to hold the rosettes down while the glue dries and I must say I have ruined more than a couple! Thanks so much for sharing.

5. #5 - Dorothy says:

You. Are. Brilliant!

6. #6 - Carmen Lucero says:

You are amazing!! Who would have thought embroidery rings would be so useful!

Thanks for sharing!

Carmen L

7. #7 - Cindy Is Crafty says:

That is GENIUS!!!!! Thanks for that tip!

8. #8 - Angie B says:

Can I just go off the deep end and gush!?!?! This is so fantastic, I cannot wait to try it. I have a love/hate relationship with rosettes, the finally assembly is always the problem. Thank you so much for sharing this bit of wisdom.

9. #9 - Juliette says:

Ok, so that’s incredibly clever! So much easier just to smoosh them into the hoop and let the hoop do the shaping! Thanks for the idea!

10. #10 - Maridee says:

What an awesome idea!! Thanks so much for sharing it!

11. #11 - foobella designs says:

Cathe, I have said it before, and I will say it again. You are a genius. I don’t know how you come up with these brilliant ideas, and I just wish I had a thimble full of your brain function. ;)

You are what Martha Stewart wishes she were. The person who comes up with the ideas, not the person who gets her staff to come up with ideas and then puts her own name on it. whoops. That wasn’t nice. But it’s true. You just remember these words when you knock the queen off her throne. =)

12. #12 - Jessica Sprague says:

This is so awesome! Genius!

13. #13 - Julia D. says:

Such a great tutorial as always and the hoops are a great idea for a project as this. I have used hoops for projects of other types and they sure do work well. It is always amazing what we crafters come up with in household items for crafting. My husband laughs at what I come up with sometimes to use, but then see’s how well these odd items work. Just love the response from Foobella Designs above and agree with her all the way. You rock girl!

14. #14 - kate blue says:

that paper is simply gorgeous…the rosettes are awesome!

15. #15 - Toy says:

What is the brand name of your score board? I would like to get one, can not find one that big. Your rosette look really good.

• #16 - Cathe Holden says:

Hi Toy! So great to see you here. That is the Martha Stewart scoring board for 12″ paper. Maybe it just looks big on the blog post, but it’s the one you can find in Michaels or online. I received a special parcel from you today, you’ll be hearing from me soon. THANK YOU!! It’s gorgeous!

16. #17 - Cristiana says:

Olá Cathe!
    Gostei muito de conhecer seu blog e seus lindos trabalhos.
    Um abraço.

17. #18 - Pat C. says:

Thank you so much, Cathe, for sharing such an ingenious tip!!♥ I can’t believe how your technique creates a larger-diameter rosette with less paper (and ensures even positioning of the outer perimeter and inner circle)! I wish I had shelf paper edging,: ( but I’ll try making smaller ones with scrapbook paper strips that I’ll trim on one side with scalloped scissors! I am so excited! xoxo

18. #19 - Tammie Rice-Doughty says:

Thanks so much for sharing.WOW! I love this idea! After the new year I will be trying this.

19. #20 - Genevieve says:

For corraling rosettes, I have used my small spring form pans and various canning jar rings. This will be so much better! No more trips to the kitchen. Thanks, Cathe. You have an amazing talent for lateral thinking, which I so appreciate!

20. #21 - Sue says:

This is such a good idea! I love rosettes and making them and this would make the coming together and “flattening” them so much easier. Thanks so much for sharing! I love your blog

21. #22 - Bev says:

Oh WOW, this is the neatest idea. I can’t thank you enough for sharing this with all of us. I almost didn’t pick up a bag of hoops at our local thrift store, because I had no idea what I was going to do make with them. Now I know. LOL

I make these for friends to use at their parties. They return them and I put different do dads ready to go to another party.

I hot glue the first side of the medallion, but use Tacky Glue etc on the other side because I’ve had the hot glue pop off later.

Thank you for making my medallion making easier and faster.

22. #23 - Melanie says:

You have some very helpful information on craft ideas. However, the tool you are using to crease the paper is a stylus.

23. #25 - alka says: