Collection, Obsession, Storage: Washi Tape

I have a collection obsession with Washi Tape. I define it as an obsession because I collect it more than I use it. Washi tape, also known as rice paper tape, is a thin masking tape of sorts with a re-positionable adhesive that comes in a multitude of colors, patterns and designs. Also in my collection are other similar decorative paper tapes, tissue tapes, one or two cloth tapes and other similar non-Washi tapes in various widths. Very recently Michaels has been stocking dozens of similar craft tapes in their Recollections line. For true Washi tape, I’ve found that the biggest selection is online. There are sellers on Ebay and Etsy that ship from the US and China, so if buying from the latter, you’ll have to be a little more patient for your shipment for the best price. I received a nice fat parcel yesterday that puffed up my selection of tapes considerably, making my first Washi tape storage solution a bit obsolete, sans the perforation blade.

I have this funky flea market wire Tintex dye box display that I’ve used in the past in my little studio to hold jars of bits and bobbles.

Paired up with a stack of wooden berry baskets that I picked up at an antique store it had even greater potential as a tape organizer.

Now with my Washi tape organized by color in each basket, the wire display is even more spectacular!What to make with all this Washi tape? Start with Washi Tape Flowers. Or, in lieu of crafting with manufactured Washi tape, you could always make your own paper tape from wrapping paper!

This entry was posted in organizing, Paper Tape, studio, Washi Tape and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Collection, Obsession, Storage: Washi Tape

1. #1 - Sharon Bennett says:

I have waaay lots of tape also, thanx to my friend Kelly Kilmer getting me hooked. I have it in plastic drawers, in bags, in other bags, etc. This is fabulous. I must look for another cool way to store my tapes. Love your site! Thanx for sharing!

2. #2 - Sarah B says:

Goodness me what a collection! I thought I had a lot of washi tape but you beat me well and truly. Mine are just jumbled into a basket but I love the way you have sorted yours by colour. I like to use the tape to decorate envelopes and parcels :)

3. #3 - Michael Wurm, Jr says:

What a FABULOUS collection!

4. #4 - Toy Jalanugraha says:

OMG !!! Love love love your collection. I LOVE site too..

5. #5 - Monique says:

I cannot believe how many you have:-)
    I have 6..and know I will never use them all in my lifetime:-)
    Yet..I covet more..love your organizers!

6. #6 - sandie says:

Oh yummy!! I love washi tape but that is a SERIOUS collection! I love the new stand, it is perfect for your tapes.

7. #7 - peggy gatto says:

awesome, just love the holder and the tapes!!!!!!!

8. #8 - nicole says:

i love it! i have a ton of washi tape, too. what a great idea for storage!

9. #9 - Elise says:

SWOONING! This looks MARVELOUS!

10. #10 - Jerosha says:

Oh how I love the storage for your washi tape collection. Here’s mine …. for now =) http://scrapbookingwithjerosha.blogspot.se/2012/08/mwtd-washi-tape-organization.html

11. #11 - Craft Donkey says:

Care to share any of the stores you shop from online?? I too am obsessed with tapes of all kinds, but rarely find it online for a really good deal.

12. #12 - Tracy says:

I am obsessed with containers and storage!

13. #13 - Karen on Bainbridge Island, WA says:

What a collection of color and pattern. Very inspiring. I love those little trucks in one of the pix holding twine…how come I can never find cute little trucks like that? I’ve been looking for years and I never see anything like those. I guess I just don’t hunt enough.

14. #14 - vera says:

Ooooh looks so nice!!
    Love all the colours :)
    Wow such a great collection!

Vera

15. #15 - Rupa says:

I like the new collection from Michaels, I bought a few especially at 50% off! I love their cameo heads one and the music notes ones in particular. You have quite a collection.

16. #16 - Kate Burroughs says:

Wow, wow, wow. And you even have room for expansion! The first thought of someone who knows she is going to buy more washi tape than she can ever possibly use. What are your favorite stores for buying?
    Aloha, Kate

17. Love this organizational idea…you rock !
    xo, Kathy

18. Pingback: Projects you should totally do with washi tape

19. Pingback: Praznici nam stizu, praznici nam stizu…. | Mama Blogerica

20. #18 - Coco says:

Washi tapes are cool! You have a nice blog post about them.

By the way, “washi” is rarely made of rice. It is mainly made of plants such as fibers from gampi tree, the mitsumata shrub, or the paper mulberry. I’m Japanese, and I never heard the rice washi papers. Maybe I just never heard.

Thanks.