Collecting: Vintage Printed Pots

I used to collect vintage Dundee marmalade pots until that moment of very poor judgement when I sold them in an antique collective years ago. What I love about vintage printed pots are the use of beautiful typography and design elements, how the ink settles and flows into the pottery’s surface, the creamy white pottery itself and the crazing and crackling of the timeworn vessel. Not to mention how practical these beauties are for attractively holding everything from pencils to pocket change and keys.

The above images are from the website Antique Bottles which has an incredible collection on display along with a bit of history about the different pots and contents.

These images, below, are of beautiful examples of printed pots for sale on Willow & Stone.Last weekend, I was the guest speaker at Goat Hill Fair in Los Gatos, California. It was such a wonderful experience and I don’t think I’ve ever been treated more special by the organizers, vendors and the really wonderful audience of shoppers. The venue was incredible and the fabulous goods a-plenty! My favorite find while shopping the fair were tiny potted meat pots, fresh from the seller’s European travels.Darling, right? Then maybe you’ll understand why I had to by the entire collection of six.This last shot is for size reference. See how sweet and little they are?!These will go into my craft studio and hold -well, I don’t quite know yet- but something perfect will find it’s way into them, I’m sure of it.

So, tell me, do you have a collection of multiples? I’d love to know it’s not just me.

This entry was posted in Collecting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Collecting: Vintage Printed Pots

1. #1 - Shannon says:

Oh those pots are adorable! My mom has one so they feel very nostalgic. For me it’s milk glass. Pots, urns, vases…I have grand plans to display it all on two built in shelving units…you know, the second my husband builds them in our on-going reno…

Ahhhhh.

2. #2 - Donna M. says:

Good thing I wasn’t there too because I would have been arm wrestling with you to get them! They are adorable.

3. #3 - Nancy B says:

I don’t think I could have passed them up, either. I have a few things of a lot of things…with the exception of clear glass, especially pitchers. I also like the metal, industrial look and have a few things in that ‘style’. Come to think of it, I like those two things together, too! and old boxes, and wire baskets….not enough room!

4. #4 - martina says:

Of course, you need them-no one could resist such pretty pots. I have multiples of Japanese glass floats. Can’t resist them, though I have over a dozen,if one is found in a store, it has to come home to join the others.

5. #5 - Leann says:

Hi
    You always have the cutest ideas! I’m looking to buy a new printer. Can you tell me what you use or recommend?

Leann

6. #6 - PennyDog says:

Oh oh! I have a Dundee Marmalade pot and thought nothing of it- I think I bought it for about £2 from a junk shop, but I don’t remember exactly. I keep my Dremel attachments and drill bits in it.

7. #7 - Tracy says:

I too, love printed pots!

8. #8 - kat says:

it is not just you. i would own eleventy billion of everything i love, if i could.
    those pots take my breath away. lucky you!

9. #9 - Jenny Depa-Karl says:

I love them (meat pots!!?) and couldn’t resist to purchase also!! I love any stoneware to store ‘everything’!!

10. #10 - Eleanor says:

we have a supermarket in England called J. Sainsbury’s, and i think the pots originally came from there. They are cute…

11. #11 - Ellie Maggie says:

Here in the UK our very popular Sainsbury’s supermarket was founded in 1869 by John James Sainsbury and in 1922 it was the largest grocery retailer. It also pioneered self-service shopping! So you really have a piece (or six pieces!) of UK supermarket history there. They’re so cute too.