Girl Scouts, A Boy Scout, and the Cart

Yesterday, I finally had the great pleasure of meeting and shopping with my Country Living magazine partners in crime, fellow Contributing Editors Heather Bullard and Serena Thompson. These two ladies and their good friends, Lisa Souers and Elaine Thompson, each flew into the Bay Area to meet up and enjoy a few days together, finishing their visit with a trip to the Alameda Flea Market. I drove down from Petaluma to hook up with them and we “scouted” the flea market together, scheming some pretty fabulous and creative ideas for the future along the way. Needless to say, it was a wonderful, wonderful day!

Heather Bullard, Me, Serena Thompson, Lisa Souers, Elaine Thompson (photo by Nicki Rosario)

My favorite purchase of the day was a vintage, distressed Boy Scout trophy/statue/statuette/award (?). Someone asked what I will do with him. My reply- I will look at him!

Photo effect made using the PhotoFunia app on my iPhone.

When planning my trip to the flea market, I was hoping to come up with a quick and easy idea to make my standard-issue vintage shopping cart more appealing and practical to schlep around. I had a “Eureka!” moment and pulled out my vintage hardware & nail apron collection. I tied them all around the cart for the perfect no-sew solution. I tucked a book cover cut from an old World Atlas into the bottom to keep items from dropping through and tied a couple more aprons inside. The pockets were great for holding small purchases, my water bottles, my note pad, collected postcards and business cards, and small bits of trash.Here it is in action!Don’t you just love a good flea market day?!

This entry was posted in Antiques, flea market, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Girl Scouts, A Boy Scout, and the Cart

1. #1 - martina says:

What a brilliant idea using those nail pouches! Useful and creative at the same time.

2. #2 - Melissa (oddharmonic) says:

Your statuette looks like a lovely miniature of Robert Tait McKenzie’s The Boy Scout. I’ve only seen life-sized versions of it before – what a neat find! Here’s an article on the sculpture’s history: http://www.scouters.us/TheBoyScout.html

3. #3 - Julia D. says:

What fun you must of had on your flea market day! Serena lives in my neck of the woods and I bet it was a great time with her. The Farm Chicks Show she has in our area is fantastic and haven’t missed one yet. Sure wish I lived close by you too, since would love to experience your upcoming first crafting event!

4. #5 - emerald hills says:

looks like you had a good time and found some great items. Love that statue too!!!

5. #6 - Heather A. says:

You are SO very clever! I love it!! And, knowing you’re on the west coast, bay area, will be one of the only things that keeps me breathing if we move to Oakland. I’m SCARED!

6. #7 - Karen on Bainbridge Island, WA says:

That Boy Scout statue is totally cool. Great idea on the cart. I love anything with pockets, doesn’t everyone?

7. #8 - Megan Davis says:

Sorry to have not bumped into y’all yesterday! The Alameda vintage flea market is absolutely this Southern-transplant to the SF Bay’s favorite thing about where I live. I go every month. As an Alameda Girl Scout leader, I’m always scouring the point for female versions of your favorite find.
    Get those ladies back together for the Treasure Island flea, too, and I’ve heard good things about Sacramento’s vintage flea too. I plan to attend that one in September, want me to swing by Petaluma and pick you up?!

P.s. to Heather A.’s comment below, I was afraid of everything I’ve heard about Oakland too, but there are LOTS of perfectly lovely and charming things there, no worries. Ive been really impressed.

8. #9 - Gail Jantz says:

LOVE your finds :-) and your cart too!

9. #10 - Sharon says:

As a Scout leader, I LOVE the Scout award you found! I have some vintage Boys Life magazines as well as some vintage handbooks…would love to add such a find to my collection :)

10. #11 - Lisa says:

fantastic idea…

11. #12 - shari says:

Adore this creative idea. I too have a collection of aprons… going to share this!
    Looks like a lovely day at Alameda!

12. #13 - lynne atl says:

The boy scout is a TREASURE…he is great. My college aged son collects BSA stuff, and he’s never seen one. Wonderful find

13. #14 - kate says:

Love, love, love your newest family member! Have fun looking at him! I know I would!
    Kate

14. #15 - Sandy Bryan says:

It was great meeting you Cathe. Would love to cause trouble with you sometime as we both are so close to each other (relatively speaking). Love your finds – loved the cart even better – so much better in person!!! Outstanding!!! Until we meet again, Sandy Bryan – The Olive and Rose.

15. #16 - Betsy Beier says:

Hi Cathe,
    Love the statue!! So great! I have to ask, did you photoshop him on the background, or use a filter for the pic? Love the look of it– so fitting for the statue. :)

16. #17 - Becky says:

Aww shucks! I usually go to Alameda but did not make it this month. I may have even ran into all of you! It is always fun to hunt for treasures there. Love your boy scout trophy! Super cool!

Becky

PS: I love Petaluma! When I am up there I always make a point to go to Summer Cottage – one of my favorite stops!!

17. #18 - Becky says:

ps: i reallly like your cart! great job!!!

18. Pingback: Country Living Christmas Books Giveaway! | Just Something I Made