A friend took some wonderful photos of my kids last fall and because I love making prize ribbon rosettes, especially multi-tiered ones, I thought that would be a great way to frame a portrait. And so I got crafty, starting with an image of my youngest, Sarah, far left.I asked her what she liked, trying to get a feel for the different components I would use in her rosette. Her answer: reading, leather, lace, Anthropologie, flowers. Awesome!
For the flowers, I picked up this delicious patterned scrapbook paper, Picadilly: Prairie Grass by Basic Grey.
I had several small gold foil frames I bought on clearance somewhere. I just knew they’d come in handy. They are 2.5″ inside and 4″ outside. I removed the hardware from the back of the frame, sized and printed a cropped image of Sarah, placed it inside, and hot-glued it closed.
I cut two wide strips of the scrapbook paper, glued them end to end with a slight overlap, scalloped the edges with an edge punch, and scored lines at 1/4″ on my Martha Stewart Scoring board. I accordion folded along the scores, hot glued one end of the combined strip to the other and collapsed the entire piece into itself forming a rosette. I hot-glued it at the center and did the same to a smaller combined strip of vintage book pages for one of the tiers. I gathered vintage lace from my sewing stash into a round ruffle for another tier and looped strips of scrap coat leather pieces for petals. I stacked and glued all tiers together atop one another. When creating multi-tiered rosettes, be certain your tiers are graduating nicely in size allowing the best of each to show in the final piece.I glued notched scrapook paper sections and coordinating ribbon, leather strips and lace trim for the tailpieces. Note that only the paper tailpieces are glued to the very back, the others are tucked between layers for added dimension. Finally, the framed portrait was hot-glued to the very center.
To finish off the back of the rosette, I hot-glued a large piece of recycled chipboard. For hanging hardware, I curled the ends of a section of wire, bent it into a U-shape and hot-glued the curled sections to the back covering it with a smaller chipboard circle.