Lunch Napkin Love Notes

One of my most well received blog posts was one I shared back in 2008 of the napkin notes I used to tuck into my kids’s lunches when they were in elementary school. You can find that post with a collection of napkins and story HERE and a couple more napkins HERE. Today I came across a few more in a bag and thought you might enjoy them. I’m not much of an archivist, so these early morning doodles help remind me of some cute days gone by. If I remember right, I kept finding uneaten sammies in someone’s lunchbox…One day I found a misplaced half-made friendship bracelet when my daughter Jamie (-Ray) was on a pretty big roll knocking these ropes out for her friends. I was able to manipulate it through two stapled napkins without cutting it up.No doubt my kids, all now on high school, would be mortified to find a doodled love note from their mom in their backpacks. (So I might just have to get on that!! Ha!)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Lunch Napkin Love Notes

1. #1 - martina says:

This brought back some forgotten memories of my Mom. She used to write little love notes and put them IN Dad’s sandwiches. He never knew when to expect them. She’d put sweet notes in my lunch bag too, but nothing as artistic as the lunch notes you sent your kids.

2. #2 - Dara says:

Love those notes. I recently used napkins for a team building exercise. I’ll save your post for future reference. Such a wonderful idea.

3. #3 - Smallgood says:

My mom used to write me napkin notes for my lunchbox. She never drew cute pictures though. :)

4. #4 - linda says:

Those are so adorable… wow! I love the one with the friendship bracelet, too. I think it’s great to leave little messages, maybe not as often for the older ones who might be embarrassed… but I bet even a spouse or friend would love to find a little note tucked somewhere :)

5. #5 - juau4 says:

you’re just the coolest mom ever! I’ll bet your kids loved those notes!

6. #6 - Kristie says:

I miss those days. One day of her second grade, my daughter Jessica forgot her lunch. I took it to the school and told the office people who it was for, but something got lost in the translation. It made it to the right classroom, but the teacher had to open it to find out to whom it belonged. I had written my daughter a note, but used a pet name I often called her at home – “Chester.” She certainly had mixed emotions about the note in her lunch that day! And she always liked me calling her Chester, but I don’t think it was something she wanted to share with the whole class, as she had to then. I’m just glad her nickname wasn’t Booger or Stinky!

7. Pingback: Links Galore « Annie Cardi

8. #7 - kristi says:

Hi Cathe! I love these napkin love notes. I did this for my children as well. I still have one little one in grammar school but only by a thread and he doesn’t go crazy for them anymore. My older two have long out grown my lunch notes. I think that it’s a great way to let your babies know that even though they’re in school – they’re never far from your thoughts. :)

9. What a sweet way to say I love you. I used to write notes too, you are so lucky to have saved some. I bet the kids will love to see them again when they are in college.

10. #9 - Jeanne says:

These napkin notes are adorable and what a sweet surprise for your kids at lunch. And even better , that they saved them!
    xo
    jeanne

11. #10 - Carol Dee says:

OMG … I adore these. Thank goodness they where not thrown away and you still have them to enjoy. I love the fact that you actually plan to do your parental duty to *mortify* the teens !!! :) You are so talented and that even shines through on napkin love notes. Happy hugs…..

12. #11 - Laure Janus says:

Hi Cathe ~

Just a note to let you know that I’ve nominated you for a Versatile Blog Award. Here’s a link to my blog post that talks about it:

There’s also a link to the Versatile Award site that explains the premise behind the award. I picked your blog because I always leave with something I didn’t have before, whether it’s inspiration, validation, information, or a smile. Sometimes all of the above! I always read your posts regardless of how many posts I have in my reader or how tired I may be. Thanks for your contribution to the blog world, your words make a difference to me and many others, I’m sure. You’re welcome to choose your own favorite blogs to award but please don’t feel obligated to do so. People are busy and this isn’t meant to be one more thing to add to the to-do list. Just know that your blog brightens my day!

Cheers ~
    Laure Janus
    Chaos and Art

13. Pingback: Amy’s Notebook 02.29.12 | The Motherload

14. #12 - Catherine says:

You should reproduce them and sell them to those of us who are not as inventive so we can do the same for our kids

15. #13 - Michelle says:

Hi, my name is Michelle and I live in Australia. I have just discovered your site, and after enjoying it for several hours, felt compelled to write to thank you for you generosity in sharing your fabulous ideas. You’ve certainly provided me with an new inspiration to get crafting! Thanks so much and please keep up the grea t work:)

16. #14 - Michelle Arnold-Yeager says:

Love this – especially when I spied my oldest son’s name – my Bennett Paul is 33, and the light of my life! We named him after the street in Springfield, Missouri that ran next to our favorite Mexican restaurant! No one had ever heard of that name around here….:) love your stuff, btw!

17. Pingback: Lunchtime Love Notes | Tillamook Loaf Life Blog

18. #16 - Dara says:

You are an amazing creative! I enjoy your work so much! Keep it up!:)

19. Pingback: Back to School: To Write Lunch Box Notes or Not | In A Tickle