An Evening at French General with Kaari Meng

I’m just back from Anaheim, California and The Craft & Hobby Association (CHA) Winter Conference and Trade Show. One of the most memorable moments of the trip was at Kaari Meng’s French General in Los Angeles.

Kaari and I began corresponding last Summer and finally met in September 2011 where we both taught classes at The Creative Connection (TCC) in St. Paul, Minnesota. Of course I’d known of Kaari and French General for some time before that through her books, features, website and products, but getting to know her over dinner and drinks at TCC- I’m completely enamoured. She is a lovely woman of many, many talents and enchantingly beautiful style. And, she is the most fun to know. So, when I was invited to this private event hosted by Where Women Create and Kaari Meng at French General, there was NO WAY I was going to miss it! Camera in hand, I spent a great deal of time looking at as many details of the store, workshop and event as I could. So much to take in! Here are just a few of the photos I took.

First, the events social committee- Kaari’s husband Jon and her fabulous parents, Kick and Dick!

Kick kept us all smiling and Dick, serving as bartender, mixed for me a Lillet on ice, with a slice of orange and a splash of Chambord, French General’s house specialty. Don’t get me started, best mixed drink I think I’ve ever had.

I understand Jon to be the chef behind the evening’s delectables- the incredible quiches being my favorite.

Eating, drinking, socializing, shopping and crafting at the French General. Heaven. On. Earth.Kaari shared her latest Jolee’s Boutique products (see info below) for those in attendance to craft with. It was pretty darn cool to see that she keeps one of my rulers (given to her at TCC) in each of the classroom table tool baskets. And now for a little tour of the general store full of textiles, books, bobbles, ephemera and more.I purchased my share of goods. (Maybe a little more than my share, but how often will I have such an opportunity?)

Lucky for us all, French General products are not only available from the FG website, but very soon can be found in a store near you! EK Success just revealed the Jolee’s Boutique French General products at CHA! (Watch for them on the Jolee’s website soon!) Oooh, you’re in for a REAL treat!Can’t wait? Click on image above to see what’s coming from Kaari Meng’s French General and Jolee’s Boutique.

Thank you for a lovely evening, Kaari!

20 Responses to An Evening at French General with Kaari Meng

1. #1 - Julia D. says:

Oh My Gosh! The “French General” store would be heaven for sure for me. I would be very broke and visiting daily. How incredibly lucky for you, that you could experience such delightful fun and wonderful people to boot. Sounds as if your trip to the CHA winter show was great and look forward to hearing and seeing more.
    Thanks Cathe, for sharing your wonderful trips, tips, and delights!

2. #2 - Lisa Hajda says:

I so enjoyed Kaari’s classes at Silver Bella! She was an excellent instructor.

3. #3 - Mary Ann Potter says:

Wow! What an evening that must have been! Impressive place – and great-looking food as well! I have a French General book, “Home Sewn”. I’m going to visit their website right now. Thanks for the tip!

4. #4 - Stephanie O. says:

How much fun! I was fortunate to take one of Kaari’s Silver Bella courses and was just delighted by her sweet spirit and the fabulous French General Items we used to create with in the class. I am so excited to see the French General line that Jolee’s Boutique is collaborating on with Kaari….

Thanks so much for sharing all these beautiful images…

5. #5 - emily says:

gorgeous. thank you so much for sharing this site and the lovely pics detailing your experiences. i have a new site to obsess over. beeeeeUtiful!

6. #6 - Nancy says:

I just read a article about the French General and Kaari in the new American Patchwork & Quilting magazine! I was practically drooling looking at the pictures of her shop!

7. #7 - Gail Thayer says:

All I can say is…please give me something awesome to look forward to and let me know when to expect Kaari’s items in stores!!! I’ll buy each and every piece!

8. #8 - Marieke Bos says:

She is my absolute all time favorite fabric designer. You’re so lucky!

9. #9 - Darlene says:

You were so lucky to be there. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures of that beautiful store. I can’t wait for Kaari’s products to be available.

10. #10 - Gayle says:

I can tell you enjoyed yourself – it must have been heavenly!

11. #11 - maggie raguse says:

HEAVEN!!!! Your evening at French General must have been unforgettable and wonderful. Thanks for the pictures, so I can live vicariously through your lens. And the new new Jolee’s products??–ohhhh, the adorable graphics and packaging!

Can’t wait for more posts. What a dream trip. Is it hard to come down from the ‘high’ of it all, and back to reality?

Your life is so rich and juicy right now. I’m so happy for you.
    -maggie

12. #12 - berta says:

Oh how fun! I love everything French General. Such a special treat!

13. #13 - Julia P says:

OH DELIGHT! Looked like an absolutely magical event, just scumptious! Will have to make it out sometime to her store, and in the meantime, be on the lookout for the jolee’s boutique items, they are so wonderfully wonderful!! Thank you for sharing with us! I am never let down, when I read through your blog, love your creativity and sharing spirit!

14. #14 - teresa says:

O Happy Day! what fun for you- love being surround by all that creativity.
    Sweet!
    Thanks for sharing

15. #15 - Leah says:

Those rows of fabrics. So gorgeous!

16. #16 - Nancy Wethington says:

So sorry I didn’t make it to your shop this year. The classes looked fabulous. But we did order your new line from EK and I can’t wait to play with all those luscious goodies!

17. #17 - maybaby says:

Cathe, I am IN HEAVEN. I took Kaari’s class at CC last fall, and also met and visited with her at the prior CC in the marketplace. I own all of her books, and have made so many of her kits, I am hoping to someday get myself to her shop. And thanks to your post today, I nearly feel like I was there (without spending any money!) I am actually saving my pennies and hoping to join her on one of her annual trips to France in the summer. Can you imagine????

18. #18 - Carolyn says:

Oh, my. I would have needed oxygen! It must have been surreal! Thank you for sharing and making me long for a trip to Kaari’s store!

19. #19 - jackie says:

THose of us who have met or taken a class from Kaari Meng will never forget the sweet tone of her voice and the smile on her face when she is teaching! She is a delight and I was privileged to take one of her classes in 2010 at Silver Bella in Omaha. She also brought some of her goods from the French General for us to purchase. I am like you, you just can’t get enough! Thanks for sharing.

20. Pingback: Rose Mille: September Cachette & German Glass Glitter | Just Something I Made