Country Living Blue Ribbon Blogger Awards

Have you been following all the buzz around the first annual Country Living Blue Ribbon Blogger Awards? It was super exciting when the winners were announced last week and each flown to New York for a special award ceremony at the Hearst Tower, home to Country Living magazine.

Here are the winners and their categories- a really dynamic group of women and a great list of blogs to bookmark!

Each winner was presented with their own customized blue ribbons in a beautiful glass cloche.

Photo courtesy of Rachel Garza of Always A Project

I thought you might enjoy a little behind the scenes of the ribbons themselves and how I made them for the event.

For the rosette centerpieces, I designed the text images with each winners’ blog name and printed them to paper. I sprayed each sheet with Krylon Clear Satin Finish. I then ran them through my Xyron Create a Sticker machine to give each sheet an adhesive backing.I trimmed each graphic out,

and adhered them to button badge forms. The forms came from the party section of Michael’s. I simply disassembled each, removed the existing graphic/paper and replaced it with mine.For the rosettes, I started with royal blue satin fabric strips. I folded and pressed them lengthwise and stitched them into pleats on my sewing machine. I used my European stapler to attach the pleated satin around a disk of cardstock.For the next layer of ribbon, I printed out circles with position lines on them. This helped me with placement of each ribbon petal.I took even cuts of blue satin ribbon, folded each over and pleated at the bottoms to create the petals. I then stapled each around the disk, centering at the lines.I cut tailpieces from two different widths of satin ribbon and layering them with the other pieces, hot glued everything together. I finished the backs with a fabric covered cardboard drink coaster. Before adhering the back on, I tucked in a ring for hanging made from the round end piece of a gold-filled toggle clasp used for jewelry.And finally, I used a piece of clear tape to remove all signs of hot glue threads.I made one extra (above) for archival purposes.

Congratulations to all the Country Living Blue Ribbon Bloggers!!

This entry was posted in Country Living Magazine, CountryLiving.com, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Country Living Blue Ribbon Blogger Awards

1. #1 - wendy baker says:

i cannot believe how clever you are and kind as well to make these stunning ribbon achievement awards. you always go all out. thanks again, the tutorial left nothing to the imagination.
    xow.

2. #2 - Aimee Carpenter says:

As a recipient of one of these beautiful awards, I can attest to how beautiful they really are. They said they were hand made, but I assumed it was by some big award company. You did a beautiful job making them, and I am so thrilled to have received one!

3. #3 - Rachel Garza says:

I just love how you make every project seem so do-able! You are so, so talented. Thanks for the mention!!!!

4. #4 - Sarah B. says:

Okay, I’m drooling for your ribbons awards! Would you consider making one for our Top Blog 2011 contest? Check out our nominees at http://www.blogguidebook.com/2011/10/nominations-now-open-for-top-blog-2011.html

Thanks so much!
    Sarah

5. #5 - Heather Ales says:

So cool! You’re amazing! Thank you for sharing your step out!

6. #6 - Beth S says:

Cathe, thank you for all that hard work making these!! It makes it even more special! You did a beautiful job!

7. #7 - Anna says:

Oh, I love this! Thanks for the tutorial. All these blogs are new to me, so I’m very excited to check them out.

8. #8 - Tracey Ireland says:

Another spectacular project by you! Your creativity and attention to detail is AMAZING!

9. #9 - peggy gatto says:

Wow!!!!!!!!!!
    Fantastic!!!!
    you did an amazing job!
    So glad you posted this!!!!!!!!!!

10. The ribbons are just beautiful! I’m so honored to have one…and I really enjoyed seeing how you went about making them. It will be something that I always treasure, both for what it represents and for the love and care that it took to create!! Thanks!!

11. #11 - Jackie DuChene says:

Those are awesome, plus I love my european stapler that I won from you.

12. #12 - berta says:

These are beautiful! And a great tutorial! Off to check out all the blogs!

13. #13 - cheryl says:

Girl…. you ROCK.

14. #14 - Linda | Garden Betty says:

I had no idea these were handmade. You did a beautiful job on the ribbons, thank you for giving us something so special to treasure!

15. #15 - SueLovesCherries says:

Awesome! You did a beautiful job – one would never know these were made by hand!

16. #16 - Dana Gustafson says:

gee whiz Cathe! What a project! LOVE!

17. #17 - marysworkshop says:

The ribbons look really lovely, Cathe, and you always make the projects look easy with your wonderfully detailed instructions!

18. #18 - Jeannie says:

I am so glad that you posted these instructions! The ribbons are beautiful; congratulations to all the winners.

19. Pingback: Winter Scrapbook Retreat Sponsor Swag Giveaway: Day 3 | Just Something I Made

20. #19 - Ron Bradeen says:

Hello, I am searching for someone to make an award (3-4) ribbon similair to the one pictured. For the Rapid City Journal Readers Choice Award. Do you do such a thing, or designate a crafter that you know? Would appriciate hearing from you!