1937 Butterflies and Moths

I’ve been watching colorful winged insects fluttering around the craft world lately. It was just a matter of time before one landed on my blog. I went through some of my old books in search of  vintage specimens and found a sweet page of beautiful butterflies and moths. Charming illustrations, old printing and off-register inks. Just lovely.Click on the image above to download the original page, or choose the one with the background removed, below (minus the antennas). Print to paper, cut out each, fold back the wings slightly and add fine wire for antennas. Or a trick I like better- super-glue a small length of colored thread to make stiff, bend in half, curve ends slightly just before dried and attach to the head and trim. Tack winged beauties about your home, workplace, car or studio.

As always, you are welcome to use free downloads from my blog for personal projects and in projects for sale. Just please refrain from selling my free images.

This entry was posted in Free digital collage sheets, Free digital downloads, Free Jpgs, free vintage art. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to 1937 Butterflies and Moths

1. #1 - Mary Ann Potter says:

Cathe, these are gorgeous. I so appreciate your taking out the antennae, too — I know these beauties are no longer anatomically correct( !), but they’re easier to use this way. Thanks so much!

2. #2 - Teresa Ford says:

Thanks so much for posting those! I LOVE butterflies!

3. #3 - Anna says:

oooh thank you!!!

4. #4 - Teresa says:

Thank you very much for sharing such beautiful work!

5. #5 - katrina says:

this is BEAUTIFUL — thank you!

6. #6 - berta says:

Thank you so much!!! Love the thread tip for the antennas!

7. #7 - Darlene says:

Love the vintage butterflies. I love incorporating them into my collage pieces. Fantastic idea about the thread.

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this all together for us.

8. #8 - Nueve Pinceladas says:

OOooooooooh … It’s so lovely!!! Thanks thanks thanks!!! 🙂

9. #9 - Sally Haig says:

Thanks! I love butterflies!

10. Pingback: {friday freebies} a cute and colourful round-up of printables | 74 Lime Lane

11. #10 - Amy M (Aimitup) says:

Just discovered your blog Cathe – thanks for these beautiful downloads – getting a print and cut cutter soon and these will be perfect for my crafty projects!

12. #11 - Manuela says:

Thanks, Cathy, for sharing these beautiful images. It’s just what I was looking for. Preparing Springbutterfly elves for X-Mas, lol…
    Your site is beautiful and always full of inspiration. Thanks again for your generosity to give us all those images.
    Grateful hugs,
    Manuela

13. #12 - Zima says:

Thanks so much for sharing these lovley butterflyes!

14. Pingback: Reader’s Digest Condensed Books Crafts | Just Something I Made

15. Pingback: Butterfly Printable — Printable Decor

16. #13 - Brenda Gordon says:

thank you for sharing this with all of us…love the energy that butterflies bring to creative projects…and real life!

17. #14 - Jen Lukkes says:

These are gorgeous!!! Love them.

18. #15 - Amanda Throckmorton says:

I’m not seeing a black monarch it’s a butterfly with black wings on the tips are orange? I have so many butterflys in my yard. I just wish I had a better camera to take pictures. Maybe someday I will but I do love my camera phone. This a beautiful page.

19. Pingback: Clock Makeover « In the Spice Rack dot Com

20. #16 - apilar gaguilar says:

Thank you! Son hermosas, gracias mil

21. Pingback: DIY Packing Tape Transfer Decals | Lemon Zest

22. Pingback: 52 Weeks of Pinspiration {Week 32}–Butterfly Mixed Media Art | Minding My Nest

23. #17 - Martin Matthews says:

My aunt loves butterflies so I cannot wait to make her a card using them, they are lovely.

24. #18 - Kristina Song says:

I just used some of these butterflies in a frame and it came out beautifully. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing these!

25. #19 - JOYCE ANGELL says:

Hi Cathe,
    I’ve been looking and looking for “illustrations of butterflies” and I just saw your. I absolutely LOVE BUTTERFLIES and I’m also an “artist” (at least I think I am-lol). I have never sold anything but also LOVE LIGHTHOUSES. I have painted many Lighthouses on plates-sandollars-wooden plaques, etc. I have given most of my artwork away as gifts and sign each “painted by an Angell & The Hand of God”….Yes, it is a God given Gift to me as I am Handicapped and can barely walk. I would love to “buy” some of your “Illustrations of Butterflies” and would love to paint a few and give them as gifts also. I have never really painted “butterflies” but they are “free” and someday I’ll be free.
    I would love to hear from you and yes, my last name is “Angell” – with 2L’s. I have died twice in surgeries and God has left me here for some reason. Maybe, just maybe, someday I’ll know why?
    I hope I hear from you. Sincererly, Joyce Angell

26. #20 - Joey says:

Thank you Cathe for these lovely butterflies. They are awesome and I am going to layer them on my cards and in scrapbooks that I make. Love that you took off the antennas. Have a wonderful day!

27. #21 - Susan Davis says:

I’ve been looking for images for a while and I’m amazed to see them on a free site! Thank you Cathe

28. #22 - Mary Webb says:

Joyce’s comment is the same as mine. I am 83 years old and I can’t walk very well. I use a walker. I fall a lot. I have an alert set. I have a God given talent,too. I love butterflies and lighthouses,too.I have many lighthouses in my apartment. I love to paint and I give away shirts, portraits and other crafts. Right now I make little purses for the homeless.My Bible Study Group has a web sight. It is Pillowministry.com. We make pillows for the homeless.It has become so popular that we do all kinds of things for the homeless.Take a look at our web sight. You will be blessed. Since I don’t walk very well I don’t go out with the group,but I do a lot of sewing. Thank you so much Cathe for your web sight. You are so giving to share with other people. You are an artist,too. God bless you!

29. #23 - Angela Daly says:

Thank you very much for your generosity.

30. #24 - GILL SMITH says:

Cathe – your images are amazing and the butterflies “without” antennae are such a good idea and as Mary Ann says – a whole lot easier to to use.

Thanks for making my cardmaking easier.

Kind regards