Pinterest, The Barn and a Green Sofa

I know many of you are familiar with Pinterest. I’m really just beginning to play with it. This morning, before anyone else was awake and the house was quiet, I found it the perfect time to pin a new board. Which brings me to my purchase yesterday. In town for a haircut I stopped into one of my favorite spots, Sacks, a Hospice thrift store. The moment I walked in I spied it. Afternoon sunlight beaming down on it like a sign from above. Long, curvy, tufted, non-smelly, close to stain-free, full-of-potential, vintage chartreuse green sofa. There’s no where in my entire house to fit such a thing. I bought it.

Here’s the deal- Things have been really piling up around me (and my family) lately, in a very literal sense. Craft supplies, products to review, swag bag shipments, more craft supplies, and multiple craft projects in progress at one time. I have completely outgrown my sweet little green studio. My stuff has taken over another large section of our garage, and the entire dining room. My sewing nook in our bedroom is out of control.

Good news/Bad news.

Bad news first: The motor on Mr. Wonderful’s old ocean-size fishing boat finally blew. There are no plans to replace it. He’ll be chartering someone else’s vessel on the Pacific during Salmon season.

The good news: The boat’s leaving the barn and the crafts are moving in! To add to the many reasons I dub him Mr. Wonderful, he is completely on-board with the whole idea. (Pun intended.)

(The barn cleaned up for a party a few years back.)

Do you know what this means? It means I’ll be spending a lot of time on Craigslist looking for work tables, chairs and shelving. Imagine the possibilities! Computer & printer, craft supplies and sewing machine all in one roomy space. And…….wait for it………………Workshops! Classes! “Come and play in my sandbox” crafty events! Can you stand it?

Inspiration photo courtesy of {{Kim}}’s Flickr photostream

With a whole new enormous studio, naturally, I’ll need a funky vintage couch. Right? Somewhere to sit and pore through books, daydream, seat Mr. Wonderful when he comes to visit, a place for workshop guests to sip tea. I just didn’t think I’d find my couch this soon. There’s really no where for it to go, so it remains in the back of our Suburban for the next few days until we move a few things around in the barn.

The new studio is several months off, but with my new sofa to help put the plans in motion, I sat here this morning feeling inspired by many more vintage green sofas and pinned them to my Pinterest!

My next Pinterest board– throw pillows, of course!

Have a great day everyone! I’ll keep you updated on the progress.

This entry was posted in studio, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Pinterest, The Barn and a Green Sofa

1. #1 - Faith K says:

What a great space! Have fun fixing it the way you want it. Like you, my crafts and supplies are taking over the house. My ‘Mr Wonderful’ is turning into ‘Mr. Grumpy’, but he indulges me. :)
    PS~ Great sofa! :)

2. #2 - jill says:

how exciting! that green looks great paired with turquoise!

3. #3 - kathy s. says:

would love tht problem. Happy shopping.

4. #4 - Jodie Lynch says:

Holy cow. You are one lucky girl!

5. #5 - Linda in New Mexico says:

This all makes perfect sense to me and that should be a worry…tee hee. We here at Casa de Cuckoo have developed a style of decorating called 52 card pickup…..you start in the middle (like your couch) and work to both ends…..
    I’m anxiously awaiting your wonderful new space progress. Oma Linda

6. #6 - teresa says:

Oh My love it…..wish I found treasures like that. Can’t wait to see what you do with it….and by the way I love Pinterest… in fact I will be pinning this today =)

7. #7 - Amy Pruden says:

OK, Totally in love with your new sofa. I’m hoping you will take my offer. Since you need new crafting stuff I would be willing to offer you in trade for said sofa, all my extra sewing machines, 3 in total and they are awesome sewing machines. Plus my serger and all my other crafty goods which include my cricut and my wishblade. Please, please say yes!

8. What is it with vintage green sofas lately? I spotted one at a local consignment shop a couple weeks back, but unfortunately I had no place to go with it. I can’t wait to see yours set up in your new barn studio. I’m sure it will be fantastic!

9. #10 - Anna says:

Just started pinning for my sons upcoming wedding. The bride asked me to help with the planning/decorating.

10. #11 - Cyndi says:

As I was admiring your photos of green couches, I looked over at my own couch. Same exact color! No wonder I liked yours so much! Your space is going to be amazing!

11. #12 - April says:

I <3 the couch! Score! :D

12. #13 - marty says:

I have a green Chippendale sofa that I’ve always loved – almost the same color as the one you picked up, not quite as bright. The color was in style when I bought it, then for years, it was dreadfully out of style, I “planned” to recover it. Glad I didn’t. Think I’ll just leave it alone now.

13. #14 - Heidi Lee says:

I totally get the projects and craft stuff just taking over everything. We live in a tiny, tiny little house in So. Cal. There is just no space. I need to get everything sorted through and out of here. I am immensely jealous of your barn! Wow! I can only imagine how amazing that will be. I am so excited for you!

Heidi@HomemadeBeautiesByHeidi

14. #15 - Ann says:

Love it Cathe – and LOVE all that S-P-A-C-E! Wish I lived in the US so I could come and sip tea with you on your green sofa! And a green sofa Pinterest board is so cool!

15. #16 - martina says:

Wow, I think Amy really wants your sofa! I had a similar sofa in not nearly as good a shape a few years ago. Very comfy but the needed reupholstering was $, so I passed it on to a friend’s sister. One day she came home to find her dogs had had a party-the couch had been ripped up, with foam and batting all over the room. Your idea for the craft studio/classroom/seminar space sounds great. Wish I could come and help with the set-up.

16. #17 - K-Sue says:

FUN! I want to come! What a blessing to have such a huge space for creativity.

17. How exciting! What kind of classes will you be teaching. I would love to have our garage as my space! Maybe someday!!!

18. #19 - RobinfromCA says:

How fun! Are you going to do the aqua with it too? I had to start following you on Pinterest so I can see what you start collecting next!

Robin

19. Pingback: Craft Supplies Wholesale – Financing and Other Start Up Needs | Crafts Supplies Wholesale

20. #20 - Robin says:

It’s absolutely gorgeous Cathe! I know it will look fabulous in your new studio space. Congrats on the exciting new future of crafting possibilities. Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
    Robin

21. #21 - Liz says:

Congratulations Cathe! It seems that your world is falling into place. It couldn’t happen to a nicer person. You’ll have to let us all know when your classes are ready so we can start making travel arrangements. I would love to come and visit your barn & sit on your green couch!
    Liz

22. #22 - emerald hills says:

that is a great coach. get a good price for it? I LOVE thift stores.

23. #23 - Diane@InMyOwnStyle says:

Hi Cathe-

What a great space to be able to call your own and put your own style into. I am looking forward to following the transformation.

24. #24 - wendy baker says:

i can’t wait to see how you turn your barn into a cathe-college. i wish i could hop on a plane to come visit and help you reclaim some cool barn love. good luck with all of your fresh plans sweetie!xow.

25. #25 - Tracy Wright says:

What a lovely thing; room to work. The couch is fab but I’m most excited to hear about your future workshops! I live close and can’t wait.

26. #26 - Cathy Graves says:

WOW!!! I am pea green with envy!!! I love your new sofa–I am so in love with green. I just started on Pinterest so haven’t done much yet. You did a fabulous job finding all those beautiful green sofas!! Most of all, I want to say congrats on your new crafting space–it is beyond words!! I know you will do an awesome job setting it up!! Can’t wait to see pictures!!

27. #27 - Louise says:

Thanks for a lovely page, such a fantastic barn-project, I would def come and take a class if i lived anywhere near. And thanks for the tip on pinterest, there are so many inspirational pics on internet and when you need them they are always stored on the wrong computer. Will make it easier to pitch those new ideas…

Good look with the conversion!

28. #28 - faygie says:

it’s fun to read your blog

29. #29 - maybaby says:

Oh congratulations! I dream of having a space like that, I am hoping someone on Summit Avenue here in St. Paul will offer up an unused carriage house or something…

30. #30 - Mrs. Limestone says:

That sofa is amazing. Can’t wait to see the finished space.

31. #31 - carolyn says:

I love Sacks and visit every time I visit my mom. I guess I didn’t realize you were local–but duh! it says so on your “about me”. I live n the East Bay.

32. #32 - Dara says:

It’s absolutely fabulous, and big congratulations on claiming the barn for your new studio/workspace. Heavenly!!!

33. #33 - Heather Ozee says:

That’s a fabulous sofa! Quite the find ;)

34. #34 - Cheryl Burchett says:

So the weird “social” thing about pinterest is your “friends” can get a glimpse into what your brain is fixated on without many details. I follow you on pinterest and was wondering what was the deal with all those green couches! Warning: don’t start posting baby stuff.. unless you want all your friends asking what is going on!

35. #35 - Amy says:

Can’t wait to take classes in your new studio! How exciting!!!

-Amy

36. #36 - Cal says:

Love it! I have a 1940′s green couch that I’m completely obsessed with. Needs to be refurnished soon. But, it’s good for now!

37. #37 - Jessica says:

I gave you the Versatile Blogger Award! Come check it out here:

Thanks for being a great blog!

38. #38 - Leesie says:

That looks great. I really wish I could come and play in your sandbox!! Also wish I could find a sofa I really liked that fit in our apartment :P

39. #39 - Michelle says:

I can see why you had to bring it home — and I’m so glad you have a place to put it! (Now, what happens if your husband decides to get another boat?)

40. #40 - Rupa says:

Oh my, I just love that impulsive purchase that led to your own charming, huge studio in the making! You got lucky! I wonder what would’ve happened if the barn wasn’t available? Would you be driving around with that giant green sofa in your Suburban around town? LOL. I will follow your pinterest board since I am dreaming of some not so expensive/huge furniture for my own brand new craft room that I just got :) You are a constant source of inspiration and full of humor.

41. #41 - Jennifer D says:

Just wanted to say congrats on the new larger studio area and your awesome chartreuse couch. A few years ago I was lucky enough to score and almost identical one for only like $20 if I remember right! Seeing yours brought back the memories of my pounding heart when I saw it at the back of the Goodwill store; It was like it was glowing! It is one of my very favorite treasure hunting finds that I enjoy using and looking at every day! I hope yours brings you as much joy as mine does! Have fun decorating your new creative space! I can’t wait to see pics! I originally found your blog when I was looking for creative space decorating inspiration…love your sense of style. Thanks for sharing!

42. #42 - Jessica says:

I love Pinterest! Such a great way to visually organize things from all over the web and so many neat things on Pinterest itself.

Oh, and I want that green couch by the way. Lovely.

43. #43 - tammyCA says:

You got a great sofa! I have thrift store sofas – mine aren’t pretty like yours, in fact, pretty ugly but built well and I want to get them recovered in a similar green – just need to find the right shade. They just don’t make furniture like they used to so even ‘tho it is pricey to reupholster, at least they are built to last.

44. #44 - TeaDub! (Tina W.) says:

What a great find Cathe…it was meant for you! I love how it’s all curvy! Congrats on scoring the barn for bigger craft space!

45. #45 - Jill Flory says:

If you decide to get rid of that green sofa would you PLEASE PLEASE let me know! I LOVE IT!!!
    Jill

46. #46 - Catherine says:

Oh! Glad to know you’re on Pinterest! Following now.

47. #47 - Kay says:

I just found you! Saw the Studio 5 segment. So glad you got to see our gorgeous mountains here in Utah! Come back soon. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. You have really made my day! My bestest friend and I are making JUNQUE Journals and the freebies you offer are sooooo timely and wonderful. I can’t wait to take some more days to search your archives and all your terrific ideas. Thank you just doesn’t say it but THANK YOU! K.

48. Pingback: 101 Gifts You Can Make at Home and the Name Pennant | Just Something I Made

49. Pingback: Pillow Lettering: Cheater Embroidery | Just Something I Made

50. #48 - Johnette says:

Hi there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.

I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.