Country Living Halloween Spiderweb Rug

Do you have your October 2011 issue of Country Living magazine yet? It’s out there, and it rocks! Just wait until you see the featured pumpkin craft. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous!!
If you turn to page 55, you’ll find the spiderweb doormat I crafted. It’s crazy-easy to make!Here’s the simple step-by-step:

• Purchase thin, black (often named charcoal) indoor/outdoor needle-punch carpet. You can usually buy this by the foot or as large rugs if you are making several. I purchased mine by the foot at the local Orchard Supply Hardware, (California locations only.) It was 26″-27″ wide. You can also purchase by the yard from Caldwell Carpet.
  • Buy a Prismacolor white-colored pencil. This pencil comes standard in Prismacolor colored pencil set or you can purchase it separately in most art supply stores and online. You may already have one in your stash!
  • Turn your rug over and draw a circle using a handmade compass of string: Tack one end of the string at the rug center point and tie the white pencil to the other end to reach the edge of the rug. Holding the tack secure and gently pulling as you go, draw a clean circle. For an oval rug, tack two nails aprox. 18″ apart at the center of the carpet onto a work surface or piece of scrap board. Tie a loop of string around tacks loose enough to reach the outer edge of the carpet. Holding the white pencil along the inside of the string, begin circling the nails with string pulled tight to create an oval shape. Here’s a YouTube video that will help you understand the concept better.
  • With standard scissors, trim out the rug shape.
  • Using your white pencil and a yardstick or other long straight edge, begin at any point of the rug, center or off-center, and draw 8 evenly spaced intersecting lines. The easiest way to make your lines evenly spaced is to draw a cross with two lines, then draw lines between those, then more lines between the second set. You know, like you’re cutting a pizza.
  • With your white pencil at the center-point, begin spiraling out with curved web lines stopping at each straight line and repeating around in a circle.
  • You can stop your webbing lines at any point leaving leggy, straight web-lines to the edge, or continue your curved lines until you run out of rug.
  • Dust off any residual white pencil flecks, and spray a coat of Krylon or other clear finishing spray and you’re good to go!This would make a really fun classroom or other kid’s project! Just wait until you see all the other fantastic Halloween projects in this month’s Country Living!!

This entry was posted in Country Living Magazine, CountryLiving.com, Decorating, Halloween, Holiday Crafts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Country Living Halloween Spiderweb Rug

1. #1 - Lorie says:

I meant to pick that up in the airport this week while I was traveling and ran out of time! I will have to make sure to get one the next time I am out. I love the rug and will be sharing it on my blog tomorrow!!

Thanks for sharing all of your great Halloween ideas!

2. #2 - Kristin says:

What a great idea and thanks for sharing it! Love all your work!

3. #3 - Nancy says:

I’m laid up with minor surgery so sent hubby for the Oct. issue. He said it wasn’t out yet! I think he just didn’t look good! Looks like a fun project!

4. #4 - Rachel Walker says:

YOU really are amazing!

5. #5 - emerald hills says:

just curious, how well does it stand up to being walked on? Does the pencil smear at all? Other wise I think its great and you did a wonderful job. Congrats on getting it in the mag!

6. #7 - Carla says:

Thank Cathe! Every year we have a neighborhood Halloween party. This rug will make a handy net for the snow boots.

7. #8 - Dennis says:

I love this! Great job!

8. #10 - Paula says:

Cathe, that is the CUTEST idea ever! Love it!

9. #11 - Susan Burns says:

Hi, Cathe, what a marvelous, creative idea! The rug came out
    great. Perfect to welcome trick or treaters.
    Warm Regards,
    Susan

10. #12 - Morgan Williams says:

love this! – going to have to try to make this .. my three year old son will go nuts for it!! thanks :)

11. Love this . . . btw, I’m taking your tree class at TCC. Can’t wait to finally meet you in person. See you tomorrow! :)

12. #14 - Megan Loop says:

This is amazing. I’m a new follower and I can’t wait to scope out your other projects on your blog. WHen I first saw this in the magazine I thought it would be way beyond my craft skills, but I think I can give it a try. Thanks for the tutorial!

13. #15 - adam says:

That is very cute. I will tweet this to my followers. :)

14. #16 - SueBE says:

What an amazing rug! It would be a perfect gift for my friend’s upcoming (Halloween) birthday. Thank you for all of the great ideas that you share.

I’ve just listed you as a recipient of the Versatile Blogger Award. You can find the details about this award on this post on my blog: http://suebe.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/im-a-versatile-blogger/

15. #17 - steve says:

As an arts and crafter, I love these little projects but emerald hills asked does it stand up to ware and tear well?

16. Pingback: Free Pumpkin Carving Patterns - SonomaontheCheap.com — SonomaontheCheap.com

17. #18 - mel mccarthy says:

Wonderful! You always make the most brilliant & beautiful things. Thanks for the constant inspiration.

18. #19 - area rugs says:

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A number of my blog readers have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

19. Pingback: Country Living “Spooky & Bright” Halloween Book Giveaway | Just Something I Made