Martha Stewart Crafts™ Decorative Arts Paint

Have you been to Michael’s Crafts in the last week? Have you seen it? The Martha Stewart Crafts™ Decorative Arts Paints and Accessories by Plaid Enterprises (USA and Canada). Our home happens to be centered between two Michael’s stores, one in Petaluma and one in Santa Rosa, California. As of a few days ago, one has their MSCDAP&A displays all set up and beautiful, and the other store was just unpacking all the boxes as shoppers were snagging up product as it was being shelved. One woman I spoke with was so excited to find black metallic paint for her craft studio decor. It’s just all so exciting! Why? What’s the big deal? It’s this in a nutshell:

A unique, patented Martha Stewart Crafts™ Decorative Arts Paint, formulated to work on all craft surfaces, indoors and out, and is even dishwasher-safe.

Lucky for me and several other crafty bloggers, we were each sent a big box full of The Martha Stewart Crafts™ Decorative Arts Paints and Accessories fabulousness to play with. This is what my incredible stash looked like:The Martha Stewart Crafts™ Decorative Arts Paints and Accessories includes:

• Tools and Applicators:
    • Ergonomically designed, soft-grip, no-slip handles
    • Selection of bristle, foam and roller sets (I LOVE these beautiful white brushes!)
    • Sponges and specialty tools for creating faux finish effects
    • One-of-a-kind applicator tops that convert paint bottles into tools (roller, fine tip, foam pouncer, and brush) -The pouncers come apart so easily for cleaning, awesome feature.
    • Revolutionary Spray Paint Kit enables crafters to apply any Martha Stewart Crafts™ Paint color as a spray paint (Have you ever heard of such a cool tool?!)
    • Multipurpose Heat Tool for cutting, burning and embossing
  • Stencils: Stencil sets in a variety of themes and sizes to quickly and easily create designs for small scale projects.
  • Mediums: Paint additives create specialty effects, such as Glaze for faux finishes, Antiquing and Crackle for aged effects, Texture and Stucco mediums for rough finishes, and Fabric medium for soft, washable effects on textiles.
  • Finishes: Seal and protect using Satin, Gloss, Glitter, and Glow-in-the-Dark finishes.
  • Specialty effects: Foil, Flock and Glitter transfers; Gilding, Chalkboard and Glow-in-the-Dark paints; Etching Medium for frosted effects on glass; tintable, waterproof Fabric Stiffener; and Metal Primer.

As if what was in my box wasn’t enough, I couldn’t help but add to my collection while at Michael’s Crafts and picked up the Multipurpose Heat Tool for cutting, burning and embossing, blank stencil film to make my own custom stencils (regular and adhesive), Foil and Glitter Transfer sheets and a bottle of Silver Liquid Gilding.

Of course, any Martha Stewart product is going to be first class, I’ve always known that, so it’s no surprise that all of her new tools and accessories are brilliantly and beautifully designed. But the true rock star of the whole line is the paint, thanks to Plaid Enterprises. As mentioned…for all crafting surfaces…glass to fabric…indoor and out…wood to metal…ONE PAINT! Click here to see all the gorgeous colors and finishes in the Martha Stewart palatte. You can purchase the paints individually or in boxed sets. The colorful finishes include Satin, Glitter, Pearl, High-Gloss and Metallic. Here are the ones I received!For my very first Martha Stewart Crafts™ Decorative Arts Paints and Accessories project (no doubt I’ll have many to come,) I used the Fancy Script Alphabet Stencil Set (although there are so many beautiful decorative stencils to choose from), gold metallic paint and 2.5″ satin ribbon.I stenciled letter by letter using a small pouncer. I was going for a very vintage look and the pouncer worked great in allowing me to give the metallic coverage a sort of weathered effect, but of course if you want full solid coverage you can get that easily with this tool as well. (Note that those little sponged bubbles settle down when the paint dries.)

I used a craft heat gun to dry each letter as I went to keep the next stencil in line from damaging the previous letter. When stenciling cursive, try to overlap and connect each letter to the tail of the previous letter, avoiding gaps between each, this will give a true cursive look. The stenciled letters are attractive as-is, but you can also come back and connect the gaps with a paint brush if you like.Here’s my finished project, a vintage-style Miss Petaluma pageant sash for my vintage-style dress formcomplete with stenciled butterfly rosette.(Just think of the possibilities for customizing Halloween costumes with these fantastic stencils and paints!)

If you pick up some of the new MS product, let me know what you make!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Martha Stewart Crafts™ Decorative Arts Paint

1. Great job on your Martha Stewart Crafts Decorative paint project!!! I love the sash idea! Very original! I can’t wait to show my project next week!

2. #2 - sue says:

All the crafts r stunning.

3. #3 - Miss Kitty says:

Thanks for letting us know about the new paints and things available by MS at Michaels. I had heard from another blogger that they were due to hit the stores soon. I love what you did for your first project. The coupon you attached to the blog post worked just fine…I had not printed one off of a blog post before so I wasn’t sure it would work.

4. #4 - Ann says:

You are so lucky in the US to have so much crafty choice – I so wish we had Michael’s in the UK! Our only craft chain store Hobbycraft is SO expensive and I have to say not very inspiring :o(

5. #5 - tj says:

…I love Martha and I love that sash! A-n-d I love that dress form! I guess I missed the dress form post ’cause I would love to make that for myself – too cute! Thank you for sharing the awesomeness! :o)

…Blessings

6. #6 - Elaine Allen says:

Hi Cathe -

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to stop by and look at Martha’s new goodies. She always has such yummy products. I love how your sash and rosette turned out.

Elaine Allen

P.S. Thanks for the coupon!

7. #7 - Judy says:

How fabulous, we will probably have to wait 10 years for any of it to arrive in Australia – but I will certainly be keeping my eye out (just in case) – being able to use paint for all surfaces, that would be fantastic

8. #8 - Jan LaFollette says:

Thanks for the coupon! I came across the new Martha products yesterday, by accident, and didn’t spend a lot of time checking them out but I did find some really cool stencils…..shapes, not letters. Now I’m curious about the paint. Thanks for sharing the info.

9. #9 - RandomCreativity says:

Now I want to pick up a bottle and see if its really dishwasher safe on a glass – that would be fun to play with…

10. #10 - Donna M. says:

Look at those gorgeous colors! And different paint finishes too. Love it all and can’t wait to see them at my next trip to Michaels.

11. #11 - Mod Podge Amy says:

What does it take to be Miss Petaluma? I need to try out for it. Hahaha! Love your project!

12. Pingback: Martha Stewart Decorative Paint Line Update | CrafterMinds

13. #12 - Saucy Chick Sherry says:

Your dress form complete with ribbon banner is spectacular. What a wonderful box of goodies to play with. Happy creating…

14. #13 - Johnnie Lanier says:

That dress form with the sash is absolutely beautiful! I am so excited about this new line. I would love you to come link this to Thrifty Thursday. Blessings…

15. #14 - Erin Canova says:

Just came across your blog and noticed you live in Petaluma! I was born and raised in Sonoma. I will never forget “you can pet a dog, you can pet a cat, but you can’t pet a luma!!”

16. #15 - Jacque Chinnery says:

Well, you inspired me again! Yesterday I drove 45 minutes to my nearest Michael’s store and bought a set of her new paints and a few of the tools. Today I will try them out. I am happy that they work on so many surfaces and I will experiment today with several….paper, glass, ceramic, etc. Thank you for the info!

17. #16 - Amanda says:

Wow that is so fun! I used these same stencils on my his and hers tray tables. Love the cursive font :)

18. #17 - Jessica says:

Wow. I love that sash idea. What beautiful ideas you always have. And the Martha Stewart glitter is an addiction of mine, I put it on everything and use any excuse to use it.

19. #18 - Elizabeth Mackey says:

I love how Martha’s craft goodies are starting to show up in other stores besides Michaels. I was at Blick’s art supplies, and saw a small sampling of her wares, and also Joann’s Fabric store has some now. I just bought the coolest stamp kit, that I can’t wait to play with.
    Lucky you to have all those goodies to play with!

20. Love you, Cathe! I hope we can hang out again some day (sooner, not later!)

21. #20 - stacie says:

I’d like to know a little more about that lovely tiara collection ;)

22. #21 - Rupa says:

Oh my, thank you so much for reviewing these fantastic new products. I missed the coupon but there will be plenty more soon. I am glad I heard about this here first. Otherwise, I would have ignored it in the store thinking it’s just another new (pricey) MS product. I have purchased her products before but they are usually pricey even with the coupon at times (good quality though). Now, these paints sound almost too good to be true but I know it’s true. Martha Stewart rocks as does Michael’s for carrying her products!

23. Pingback: Apple-Shaped Stamped Cards for Back to School | Make and Takes

24. #22 - Rupa says:

Sorry for hogging more space again. These gorgeous paints are all on sale for just $1.19 (40% off reg price) this week, that’s a great price! You are one lucky lady to get the whole stash of brushes/tools etc! Can’t wait to see how you use them, hope you will share the projects so that we will know which few brushes/daubers/stencils etc we need. to buy. I’d like them all but can’t afford :)

25. Pingback: Dollar Store Crafts » Blog Archive » Make a Growth Chart Mirror + 40 more projects

26. #23 - Heidi Meyer says:

That is adorable!! I love that idea! I can’t wait to check out her products first hand.

27. Pingback: Make a Growth Chart Mirror + 40 more projects |Candle Making Kits | Beeswax, Soy and Gel Candle Making Starter Kits

28. Pingback: Painting Trends – High Gloss Paint, High Style Rooms! | Re-Do it Design

29. Pingback: Alphabet Stencil | Scrapbooking & Paper Crafts

30. #24 - Sylvia Figueroa says:

I also love the paint. I just bought a few colors for now. I will buy all the colors little by little as money comes in.

I mainly paint on glass and I LOVE IT.

I Love all Martha’s products she has done a great job creating keep it up Martha.

:) Luv ya

31. #25 - eunice says:

Wondering how you did the ribbon and button at the bottom of the sash.

32. #26 - Thea G. Collins says:

I will be using the Glow in the dark paints for a few pumpkins with happy faces. I will also make some glow in the dark jars that has a crochet cover to hold a batery . I will have them aroun the front yard. I will fill it with cheese cloth and put glow in the dark paint on different parts . I am also making butterflies. They have two large wings and two small wings. I will use fabric stiffner They will be fan pulls and shade pulls for Christmas for my family. I will also have to crochet the antana and body. I used Handy Hand thread size 20. They have so many beautiful colors I love to crochet with it. I am not even sure if you will get my comment. Any way Iwill take some pictures from the butterflies and put it on my face book. Thea

33. #27 - Alethea says:

Hi Cathe–
    Love your work!
    I too a, a creative in Petaluma (just started a production studio in town called Bay Area Media Masters)
    A very special friend of mine, Joelle, is turning 50 on the 21st, and I’d love to give her a custom sash and tiara for her birthday. She runs an amazing nonprofit in Napa, COPE center — that aids children and families. She’s so cool, I think she deserves the Napan of the Year award, don’t you?
    I ran across your blog when shopping for sashes, and I’d rather buy one that you made than online from China, know what I mean?
    Might I commission you to make a sash for ms Joelle? I’m on a rediculous budget, but would $25 do it? I’ll give all Facebook credit to you! We might even film a little ceremony at her work for fun. Ha!
    Let me know your thoughts. No prob if your busy, reach out when you’re free; always good to meet local creatives!
    Yours,
    Alethea
    707 888 0375

34. #28 - Debbie Knost says:

Can you tell us how to make that dress form? It is wonderful and so creative!

35. #30 - nicole says:

Hello! Does anyone know if these products are available in Australia anywhere? Thanks!