Easy Button-Badge Remakes

The other day, my friend, Lori, asked if I had the equipment to make button/badges. Her son, Brady, was going as JFK for Hero Day at school next week and needed a few props. Well, I don’t have a badge-making machine, but thought it would be a great time to show you how I make button-badge remakes from old thrifted buttons and printed computer graphics.Based on the diameter of my thrifted button, I create the graphics in a circle design keeping any important text well within those dimensions. Lori emailed an image she found on the internet of an original campaign button. I used the illustration of JFK and recreated the type and color sections. I then add about 1/2″ of additional color around the measured dimensions for wrap allowance.
I use my thrifted pinking-shears (for paper only) to cut out the circles to keep paper edges from bulking up when folded over to the backside and pressed down along the curve of the button shape.Using ModPodge Gloss, I lightly coat the front of the old button.

Then center the button onto the back of the cut-out paper, being sure to keep the button stick-pin to the top of the design.

Mod Podge around the cut paper section and button edge, gluing onto the back a little.

(This is where your hands get a bit messy-) fold over the edges onto the back and press well. ( Although not shown in the photo above, the pinked edges should be glued completely flat to the back of the badge to keep from snagging.) Once the back is dry, coat the front of the buttons with Mod Podge Gloss.Here is the original button image and my button re-do!

I have lots of award ribbon rosettes in my stash, and since I had my Mod Podge and buttons out, I took the project a few steps further.

Something for a birthday girl.Something for me.

Even more buttons.

Typography.

Vintage rosettes.

Assembled.

Attached to ribbon with foam dots.

And draped along one my favorite canvas prints (sent to me by Photo-Canvas when I hosted a giveaway last December,) a photo of my children.

Here are some more repurposed prize ribbons, a few with button re-do’s from a while back.

This entry was posted in Canvas Prints, Decorating, general craft, Paper Crafts, repurposing, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Easy Button-Badge Remakes

1. #1 - Barbara Beck-Azar says:

what a great difference these hand made buttons are! I have one question about using the printed graphics. Do you print onto fabric or on a transfer sheet then on to fabric? Or is is paper only? Can’t wait to try this project out.

2. #3 - Ronda C. says:

Very cute, but how do you cut such a lovely round circle with pinking shears?

3. #4 - Noreen says:

I like your button badges waaay better! Thanks for the idea!

4. #5 - Frankie says:

I love this you are so creative!!I will have to keep my eye out for buttons and ribbons!! Thank you

5. #6 - Monique Campeau says:

I really have to tell you again how talented I think you are..and your photos are perfect.

6. #7 - Deanna Fountain says:

These badges are such fun…..I have save many metal buttons with large pin clasp backs and did not know what I would do with them, I do now, Thank YOU !

7. #8 - tj says:

…You are so stinkin’ awesome! (I mean that in the best way!:o)

…Such a great idea and thank you!

…Blessings… :o)

8. #9 - Katrina says:

you are so great 🙂 i am really amazed. you always inspire people to do things creatively. how i wish i have the creativity that you have 🙂 God bless you always 🙂

9. #10 - Momma Mindy says:

Was sitting in my dentist’s waiting room and was thrilled to find a Country Living magazine with an article featuring craft bloggers – one of them Cathe Holden. I showed my daughter and bragged, “I follow her blog!”

So happy for you, your creations need to be shared. You are very talented. Congratulations!

10. #11 - Linda says:

Now I have to be on the lookout for buttons at the thrift store. thanks for the great idea!

11. #13 - Mod Podge Amy says:

This is brilliant! Ribbon badges are the new doilies. 😀 I love these Cathe! They are beautiful!!

12. #14 - Bev J Sprenkle says:

Hi Cathe – I luv all of your great ideas….you are truly a gifted lady with all of your creativeness! I am so happy I came upon your website (through the Country Living Magazine) and have recommended it to all of my ‘crafty friends’. THANKS for sharing!!

13. #15 - nitasha says:

These are supercool!

14. #16 - Wayna says:

Aloha Cathe,
    I love this idea to repurpose old buttons and redo them! So cool! TFS

15. #17 - marcelle says:

wow, so simple yet so affective! Great photos make it a easy to follow project, if I get some spare time I will get it a go! thanks

16. What a creative and fun idea, I will have to try this!

17. #19 - rk says:

Just Amazing!!! Your friends are very lucky to have such a talented lady like you as their friend! My fav is your yellow logo one, vintage graphics yet so new! May I ask if you create your graphics in PS? I am just learning it slowly now and would love to see a tutorial on how you created the graphics. Hope you don’t mind me asking 🙂 Thanks again for sharing!

• #20 - Cathe Holden says:

I design primarily in Adobe Illustrator. GLAD you asked! I do use PS a lot for fixing photo glitches and image work. But most all line art/graphics are AI, CS3.

18. #21 - Kari says:

what a great job! love the idea!!!

19. #22 - Stephanie says:

The birthday button and blog button are so much fun! I never realized how lovely some of those rosettes could be… so yummy!

20. Pingback: Reciclar chapas | Bueno, bonito y barato

21. #23 - Pippa says:

Wonderful idea Cathe. Thanks!

22. I posted a photo on your Facebook page of a pin I made!

23. #25 - Inda says:

so clever!

24. #26 - Nellie says:

Love the vintage rosettes. I don’t recall ever seeing a group of them being sold…where do you usually find these?

25. #27 - Celeste B. says:

Super cute ideas! Love them, TFS! 🙂

26. #28 - Kathy says:

BRilliant. I especially like that you made one for yourself!
    Kathy

27. #29 - Pepsiw says:

I love, love this idea. I just wish I has some rosettes to use, I’ll just have to try to make them. I’ll be on the lookout for old button to re-use now. Thank you for sharing, they look great.

28. Pingback: Button Up for Birthdays! |

29. Pingback: Prize Ribbon Buttons «

30. #30 - maria says:

wow that is really amazing and it also helped alot thanks!

31. Pingback: Easy button badge remakes. - Mod Podge Rocks

32. #31 - Alice says:

I used your method to make campaign buttons for a university class project. They came out great!

I used $2 zigzig paper edgers from Michael’s instead of pinking shears.

33. Pingback: Prayer Stations on Deuteronomy 6.5-9 | Still Waters

34. #32 - Jamesha Ricketts says:

Where did you get the rosettes? I am not an art’s and crafts person, I just want to make myself a custom birthday badge.

35. #33 - Toshei Woods says:

I’m really interested in learning how to make rosettes for awarda do you have any tutorials.

36. #34 - Mirthe says:

Hi Cathe, A thin layer of Modge Podge dimensional magic, works great too. It will not have stripes of the brush showing when dry. Because the shape you use is not flat, only a thin layer should be applied.

37. #35 - Wendy Whipple says:

Can’t thank you enough for this tutorial! I was astonished that there wasn’t any other info online about doing this very thing, then I found your blog with not only the info I was looking for, but really excellent info! I’m “punking” a jacket, and need to fabricate the pins to put on it as the theme is more personal than commercially available (or affordable). Thanks to you, I’ve got what I need. You rock! 😀