Simple Tiny Handmade Dough Cutters

Today, I wanted to make some tiny cinnamon-applesauce air fresheners to use as gift tags, to tuck into muslin bags as sachets, and to string into yummy bunting for the holidays. The plan was to make a basic cinnamon-applesauce dough recipe, use alphabet rubber stamps to personalize and cut out with my cute little vintage petit four/mini cookie cutters. But, unable to locate my cutters for reasons I will not go into that have nothing to do with having way too much stuff, I resorted to making my own cutters.Using the heavier guage piece from a set of Memory Makers aluminum sheets, (found in the scrapbook supply section of the craft store,) I set my ruler about 1/4 inch away from the edge and scored lines every 1/4″. I trimmed away the narrow section with my X-acto knife and bent the sections around the barrel of a ballpoint pen, folding back along the scores between each bend and securing with a thin strip of duct tape (because it was handy.) Pressed into the rolled out & flattened dough, the scalloped cutter worked great.I also made round and oval cutters- there’s really no limit to the shapes, and these would likely work great for thinly rolled out clay or other non-food dough.

Now my goal is to perfect that dough recipe to better handle the imprint of the rubber stamps. I’ve found some formulas that include white craft glue and others that enhance the fragrance with nutmeg, allspice and clove.

Have you made cinnamon-applesauce dough for crafting? Any tips? (Besides mine: don’t rub your eyes after handling cinnamon dough!)

This entry was posted in general craft, party favors and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Simple Tiny Handmade Dough Cutters

1. #1 - Nell says:

I did the same thing this summer! Great minds thing alike I guess! I used metal banding though. Nellie’s cookie cutters

2. #3 - Selena Cate says:

What a fabulous idea to make your own shape cutters. I think it is a genius idea! All the sudden lots of different unique shapes are coming into my head. I’d love to make apron shaped cookies for the holidays.

3. #4 - Wanda says:

That’s a great idea. I’ve also seen this done
    with the cutting edge taken off a box from aluminum foil.

4. #5 - Wanda says:

Gosh Nell
    I’d love to take a look at what you’ve done as well…but I guess
    everyone is right now….your server says it’s down every time I click on it.
    I’ll have to check it out later.

5. #6 - ButterYum says:

Tiny indeed – I didn’t realize how tiny that cutter was until I saw the photo of you holding the cutter.

6. #7 - ButterYum says:

(oops, hit send too quickly)

Very neat idea!! Thanks for sharing it.

ButterYum

7. #8 - Jennifer says:

Have you ever tried springerle dough? I know it’s meant for wooden molds, but maybe the stamps would work too.

8. #9 - Tina W. (TeaDub) says:

Seriously, Cathe! You sure know how to get the most mileage out of those Bic ballpoint stick pens! It makes me look at mine in a different light! Great idea and thanks for sharing!

9. This is brilliant….our brother-in-law owns an air conditioning company with a sheet metal shop and there are always strips of sheet metal that they are throwing away….I could use them to make cookie cutters, So glad i saw your post today! Thank you!

10. #11 - Elizabeth Toel says:

I love that you couldn’t find your cutters…because I can’t find my stuff either and it also has nothing to do with having too much stuff!!! And then your resourcefulness never ceases to amaze me – you made your own! Beautifully done I might add. Bravo!

11. #12 - keren says:

this is so cute!!! i love tiny things!

12. #13 - Tiffany Johnson says:

I would have never thought to do this!

13. #14 - Kelly-Jo Cole says:

This is so cute!!! Would you mind doing a guest post for my over on my blog with this idea? Would love it if you could-just send me an email if you are interested!

14. #15 - becky erickson says:

I just want to thank you for your caring and giving. I always find such unique vintage and unique information and ideas when I visit. On a very fixed income, it is helpful all the sharing you do. God Bless you and your family Becky

15. #16 - renee verssue says:

cathe – since finding your blog i have really enjoyed your creativity and resourcefulness that you apply to everything you design… you are a very cleaver lady. i am thrilled to see your product in the form of rubber stamps…what in the world will you be doing next. thanks for the chance to win just some thing you created!!!

16. #17 - Gayle says:

FYI – the applesauce – cinnamon ornaments last for at least 20 years (so far!) and still smell great! I used a bamboo skewer to poke a hole and strung red ribbon through the hole. I rolled mine out about 1/4″ and used regular Christmas cookie cutters. Fun stuff!!!