1875 Skeleton

There’s something about the anticipation of Halloween that gets me digging through my old books looking for something cool and creepy.
Well, not as creepy as cool, I found a beautiful skeletal diagram in Hutchison’s Physiology and Hygiene.
The book is copyright 1875 and my edition also has the date of 1881. (The title above will link you to the pages of the book online.) I scanned the skeleton image from my yellowed pages and included the table– a modified image made from combining two pages of information in the book.You can snag up the images above as JPG files, or, I put together the images in several FREE PDF file layouts for you:

• 8.5″ x 11″

• 8.5″ x 14″

Image divided into two 8.5″ x 11″ pieces for printing and tiling together as one large 11″ x 17″ piece

One image of Table of the Skeleton.

Wishing I had more time today to play with the image myself, I would love to see what, if anything, you do with it!

This entry was posted in Decorating, Free digital downloads, Free Jpgs, Free PDF files, free vintage art, Uncategorized, Vintage Ephemera and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to 1875 Skeleton

1. #1 - stephanie says:

This is SO COOL!! What an awesome, creepy, Halloweeny skeleton he is! Thank you so much for sharing with us! 🙂

2. #2 - Heidi says:

Thanks so much, Cathe! I’m doing a ‘Cabinet of Curiosities’ for Halloween this year so this image is just perfect!

3. #3 - Jessica says:

I love those books too! In fact, that very illustration inspired this card set I illustrated, based on the skeleton, the muscles, the nervous system and the circulatory system from that book: http://www.etsy.com/listing/16776203/plant-kings-8-card-stationary-set

I love it.

4. #5 - Nancy says:

Hooray! Skeletons!! I love them, thank you for this one.

5. #6 - DogsMom says:

Thank you so much for this.
    I know I have old medical books stashed away somewhere. A gag gift for my BIL at medical school that I kept.
    Just recently I have started looking at old books as art worthy sources of images.

6. #7 - Judy Papadakis says:

Hi Cathe,
    For two years I have looked forward to every single piece of your artwork, the freebies, your family values, the obstacles you have overcome and your unending stream of talent and ideas.

You truly have enriched all who have had the good fortune to “tune in” to your fabulous journal from the heart — with art. I have saved most of your gifts in my Mighty Mac and hope to make some cards with them in the near future.
    Also love your new look — it took years off of the b/w picture.
    All the best to you and your family.
    Judy

7. #8 - Laura says:

Wow! Great book, thanks for the link. And what a lovely blog!

8. #9 - John LaVia says:

Hi,Cathe
    I have a copy of Hutchisons Physiology and Hygiene New Edition 1902.
    The inside cover is stamped Specimen Copy with Compliments of
    Maynard,Merrill & Co.
    Do you have any idea of the value of the book.
    Thanks for your time, John

9. #10 - Teresa Gonzales says:

Thank you! Just what I was looking for!

10. #11 - Chris Carter says:

I want to learn all there is to know about the human body. This is way cool.