Fun Faux Fireflies

Growing up in the Midwest, you could find your yard aglow all summer as the sun went down and the fireflies filled the air. Jar in hand, kids would collect one or more in a mason or mayonnaise jar creating firefly lanterns. But, here in Northern California, a little craftiness with the help of Aniomagic may be as close as my kids ever get to experiencing this phenomenon.
Last month, while at the Maker Faire, I picked up two little kits made by Aniomagic that are perfect for electronically impaired crafters, like myself, that still want to craft and play like we’re not. The kits, which include enough supplies to create one LED light magic show, can be sewn into your craft projects, apparel, etc. for a really cool effect. I chose to use my little kits in a bit of a different way- creating fireflies, or as we also called them, lightening bugs.
Using the very simple directions on the Aniomagic Beginner’s Sewing Kit page, I simply stitched and strung the conductive thread through holes punched into the lid of a recycled mason jar. Connecting the corresponding +/- ends into the LED sequin by tying them into knots, I then trimmed away the extra thread.With superglue, I secured the fabric battery switch into place on the top of the lid. (Homemade Ginger Pear Sauce courtesy of my neighbor Natalie…DE-LISH!)I punched out wings from a piece of folded transparent tape and glued them to the sequin.To hide the switch, I covered the lid with a couple of pieces of paper cut out to fit, screwed on the threaded jar ring and my lightening bug lantern was complete. Pressing on the center of the lid sets the little bug glowing.
If you find the button a bit difficult for little fingers to press, you can add a little extra something, like part of a styrofoam peanut, or small ball of tissue onto the top of the button/switch before covering with the paper. These would make such fun items for your kids to play with on the 4th of July, especially for the littlest of ones, too young to handle fireworks.THERE’S ONE CATCH: The hardworking staff at Aniomagic happens to be taking a little time off to get caught up on several things like their day jobs! Their site won’t be open for business until after July 14. HOWEVER, they have been so kind as to agree to work with any JSIM reader that wants to order the Aniomagic Beginner’s Sewing Kit to make these projects if placed in time to ship for the 4th of July. Please clarify when ordering on their site that you are ordering based on the project from JustSomethingIMade.com After July 14, it will be business as usual over at Aniomagic.com!

21 Responses to Fun Faux Fireflies

1. #1 - Mummylade says:

what a wonderful gadget and such a marvellous idea!

2. #2 - TesoriTrovati says:

Seriously? You are a beyond craftastic! That is such a clever idea.

Thanks for sharing your inspiration! Enjoy the day.
    Erin

3. #3 - CA_grafico says:

I used to catch fireflies when I was a kid! This would be so cool to have, thanks for bringing back memories : )

4. #4 - Caseymini says:

Cathe! That is sooo cool. Thanks for showing us how!

5. #5 - anna and the ring says:

How wonderful!

6. #6 - marysworkshop says:

Oh, that is just the neatest idea, Cathe, and I bet the little ones will love it!
    I thought everyone had fireflies, so now when ours put on their nightly light show, we'll appreciate them even more.

7. #7 - Tricia McWhorter says:

Wow! You really caught my interest with this one. Now I don't have to travel across the country or to the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride at Disneyland to get my firefly fix!

8. #8 - lunaclaydesign says:

This is great I live in Ohio. Last night my 2 year old grandson collected his first real firefly! It never gets old.

9. #9 - CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [22 Jun 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

10. #10 - jennifer young says:

wow!! this is so great! thanks for sharing
    j.

11. #11 - alyssa says:

This is so awesome! Question: if i were wanting to make 10 of these like you have made, would I need to buy 10 kits?

12. #12 - Christine says:

A lovely, magical and wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing. I live in the Midwest, but we don't get very many fireflies by us unfortunately. When I visit some other places in WI, I love to see the fireflies. So cool!!!

13. #13 - Createology says:

How fun is this?! We just returned from visiting the South and there were fire flies every evening. Very magical. Happy creating…

14. #14 - My Life Under the Bus says:

What's more awesome then that ??? BTW I received my book and it's gorgeous what a treasure ! Thanks so much : )

15. #15 - Karyl says:

Thank you, Cathe! I placed my order yesterday! My granddaughter, at age 7, is a master firefly catcher, but we've had a problem with getting them to "glow" in the jar and have been choosing to let them go free! As soon as they are released into the wild, they light up. I know that there is a lesson here… :-)

16. #16 - Christine says:

So cool :-) Thanks

17. #17 - Randi says:

Cute idea. My husband and I were just talking about fireflies the other day. The yard used to be full of them at night in Ohio. Now we live in Georgia and we never see any…too bad.

18. #18 - ashley says:

I browse the internet for hours looking for ideas like this THANK YOU

19. #19 - Richie says:

I love this idea! I’m making one for a Christmas gift for my sweetie! During the summer we would “tell time” by the fireflies; once the kids were put to bed the fireflies were out, we knew it was now our time to sit on our front porch enjoy each others company.

20. #20 - Charlotte Holt says:

How perfectly wonderful, the firefly craft! I need it for a Master Gardener display booth for the County Fair and for an object lesson for a church mission trip! It would work out great. Can you send me information for ordering some kits please? thanks, I am excited!

21. #21 - Jeni Ann says:

Amazing! I am lucky enogh to live in rural Iowa – but for those who are Lightening-bug deprived, this is great :o)