Collecting: Crests and Monograms

You probably know I’m really into vintage monograms. And you may know that I’m a logo designer by trade. So it’s a good chance you’ll appreciate my recent purchase from the UK of this incredible collection of Crest and Monogram Albums (c. 1930) and understand how a collection like this makes my head spin. If you’re a graphic designer, or simply adore vintage ephemera and design, I know you’ll enjoy this just as much. CLICK HERE for an interesting bit of history on Crest and Monogram collections.
These are the kinds of books that could keep me happily locked away in my studio for hours simply enjoying the details of each piece. Such incredible illustrations, designs and inspiration in both the art of the monograms and crests as well as the albums themselves.There are hundreds of engravings in this collection.Pages and pages and pages of crests and monograms collected and neatly cut to fit into the framework of the illustrated pages of the albums.The intricately engraved detail gives me goosebumps.Not sure I’d risk opening an envelope addressed to me with this particular engraving on the flap:This is my favorite of all:If you’re in the printing business, no doubt you’ll appreciate the tight registration of ink to engraving on this piece:There are also many envelopes full of crests and monograms that had not yet made their way into the albums.To appreciate even more the skill and artistry put into the engraving plates used for printing these fine pieces of art, check out THIS LINK to the website of an artisan who engraves similar work by hand of family crests for jewelry.

Because not all the pages of the albums are filled, those pages I happily share with you for use in your own projects– Enjoy!

57 Responses to Collecting: Crests and Monograms

1. #1 - Amy says:

I love the frames on the blank pages for you to mount the other crests – interesting post – I never knew you could get such things!

2. #2 - TesoriTrovati says:

What a gorgeous find!
    When I was a teacher we would do a personal crest unit. We would study the different parts and colors and symbols. Then they would create and it was always marvelous. Those are such well preserved history. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day! Erin

3. #3 - debsea says:

wowie kazowie – that was indeed a score!! it's all too wonderful, all that work put into those albums! just wow!

4. #4 - Maria Isabel says:

Thanks for the freebie, I love Monograms too!

5. #5 - Auntie Cake says:

Oh Cathe,
    I am so glad those books found their way into your hands. You needed them! And there is not a more fitting person for these treasures… Can't wait to see what you will create with them. Enjoy!!!
    Kate

6. #6 - Elaine Elwick Barr says:

These are amazing!! Great great find!! You must be going creatively crazy!!

7. #7 - Donna says:

Wow Cathe those books look great. It is so nice of you to share these gorgeous pages with us. Thank you

8. #8 - orchard_girl says:

What a fun find. The detail on the crests are amazing.
    Heather

9. #9 - Jill says:

So these books were made to collect other's family's crests and to display them. Just like a scrap book…that is so interesting. I had no idea such books would have been made.

10. #10 - Pattykat says:

That is one beautiful set of books!
    Thanks for sharing your creativity, it is surely a gift from God.

11. #11 - Jennifer says:

My goodness, these are incredible! The amount of work that went into even producing the blank pages of the album, the attention to detail, so wonderful. The monograms and crests are so intricate and beautiful as well. I love the thought that it was a hobby back then to cut them out of stationery and cards and collect them for posterity!

12. #12 - La Vie en Rose says:

GAHH, "The Queen" gave me goosebumps. How I would love to own that one! Gorgeous as always Cathe, thank you.

13. #13 - Tauni says:

I am not a graphic designer, but wow. What a lovely find!

14. #14 - Shel at Dreamy Nest says:

OOh – these are gorgeous!! I love them. Thank you so much for the blank templates.

15. #15 - Abbie says:

oooooo… those are awesome!! (skipping around room, clapping hands together!) Oh, Cathe.. why are you on the other side of the country?? Absolutely gorgeous.. thank you for sharing!
    xoxo~
    Abbie

16. #16 - 32˙North says:

Wow! You scored! Talk about the ultimate find!

17. #17 - Rhondamum says:

What a gorgeous collection and thank you for the freebies as well. I just found an album from 1870 on ebay. I can't afford it but it sure does make my mouth water! xoxo R…

18. #18 - Charlene says:

Woderful post!!!! Love the crests & the frames. Now I need to think of a clever thing to do with them. Thanks for sharing.
    Charlene

19. #19 - jessica says:

these are fabulous! i can't wait to sit down and print these out!

20. #20 - mary beth says:

Just think about the work that went into these back in the day before computers…they are really works of art and you will do something wonderful with them, I just know it~! thanks for sharing them with us!

21. #21 - Beverly says:

Wow those books are amazing. And you are so generous to share the blank pages with us. Thanks!

22. #22 - WinnyNinny PooPoo says:

How beautiful. I think I need a crest with a sock monkey on it…

23. #23 - sjhackney says:

Oh Cathe, you are so lucky and I think I'm in love…with your books! Thanks for sharing. Sally

24. #24 - Kathy-Catnip Studio says:

What a wonderful find, and the images you've shared are divine!

25. #25 - plaisanter says:

Thank you for taking the time to scan these for us; they are beautiful and elegant.

26. #26 - Loral says:

Wow- what an amazing collection! Fabulously gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing some scans, I hope to use one as a family tree page 🙂

27. #27 - Baker Family says:

I LOVE these! They are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I am trying to figure out what I can do with a couple of them!!! 🙂

28. #28 - jodi @ back40life says:

gorgeous – what a fabulous find! know you will get many, many hours of enjoyment!

29. #29 - Lana says:

Wonderful! I LOVE the collection and I love everything you do, of course!!! (you can see why I love the crests so much if you check out my blog header with the historic Scottish stone crest as its fulcrum!)
    Blessings, Lana

30. #30 - My Life Under the Bus says:

Just plain gorgeous ! I can imagine those books being much like catnip for you ! LOL

31. #31 - Deryn Mentock says:

What an incredible find. Lucky, lucky you!

32. #32 - Lyss says:

What a wonderful find! All the crests and monograms are amazing.

33. #33 - GiddyGardener says:

Oh be still my heart! I too am drawn to all things heraldry, crests, etc. Thanks ever so much!

34. #34 - CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [20 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

35. #35 - FleaMarketTrixie says:

these are gorgeous, thanks for sharing with us

36. #36 - Heather Carson says:

Cathe you find the most amazing things! Love this!

37. #37 - Rebecca Everett says:

Wow, those books are freakin' awesome!

38. #38 - Rebecca Everett says:

Wow, those books are freakin' awesome!

39. #39 - Kelly Bookend Diaries says:

I love all the beautiful crests and momograms that you posted.

40. #40 - Robyn says:

Oh these are gorgeous. I am such a nut about beautiful family crests and monograms. {of course with my business, it's a good thing.}

My father had a beautiful signet ring of his family crest that I always loved. This post reminded me so much of it. Thank you!

41. #41 - julie says:

Fabulous find! I have never seen such a beautiful presentation of these before – and to think you got a set of three albums! Thanks for sharing!

42. #42 - Ali says:

TY so very much. I will be sharing these with the gals over at Sisterhood of Scrap, a Canadian Forum I belong to. Again, TY! Found u via Scrapscene today! Bkmkd your site!

43. #43 - Dianna says:

WOW! Beautiful!

44. #44 - Kimberly S. says:

Beautiful crests and monograms!

I love these frames! Thank you for sharing them. Now to think of an art project to use them with.

45. Pingback: Links for the weekend | Mystery Moor

46. #45 - Deborah K says:

These are wonderful. I really like looking at monograms and seals to see what they are composed. 🙂 thank you!

47. #46 - Molly says:

Cathe, I just adore these pages from the albums. I have been putting them in shadowboxes and putting a seashell in each empty “spot”. I wondered if you have a blank page with the Rope and Anchor design on it? I saw it pictured while googling the albums. I would like to make one for a dear friend who loves everything nautical. Thank you so much. Your entire website is such a treasure!!

Molly

48. #47 - Joe says:

Hi I have just purchased one of these beautiful albums
    But. Would like to see if I can fill it how do I do this never seen one befor

49. #48 - Matthew says:

Can anyone help me locate my great grandfather’s crest album that sold on ebay in October 2011? His name was Charles Walbridge from Germantown, Pennsylvania and the album was created around 1897 (he was 10 years old then). In research my family history I came across the archived advertisement on Worthpoint. Any information will be greatly appreciated! matthewcoxri@gmail.com

50. #49 - malcolm says:

What a great set of books, rare to see a set of them. usually only seen in single pages or single books, There are usually some to be found at one of the 6 The Ephemera Society Fairs in London each year..

51. #50 - Anthony and Christine Wilson says:

Would love to keep in touch with you Cathe Holden. We also collect crests and monograms and have a number of books and some loose ones to fill in the gaps. It is only recently that we have found some of the abums and loose crests and monograms for sale, suddenly they seem to be getting popular. Do you sell any of yours or duplicate loose ones as we would be interested. We did have our own small printing works until we retired a few years ago but the interest has not left us. Very pleased to read your articles, they are very interesting, many thnaks, regards chris

52. #51 - robin randall says:

I have been looking all over for blank pages like these for my button collection. Thank you so much. What a score.

53. #52 - Blair Southerden says:

My grandmother had a 3rd edition album, now in the possession of my cousin in Canada. One of the pages is inscribed The White Lodge, Richmond. Can you tell me if this is a ‘stock’ page in your album or whether it is one of the blank ones which has been titled by my grandmother?

54. #53 - Mary Colleen Conroy says:

Thank you Cathe for sharing these gorgeous
    Monograms, crests and frames. They are exquisite!

55. #54 - Elizabeth Dusza says:

Hi ! I don’t have a website, but just wanted to thank you for all the gorgeous & the ideas. In a heady turn thru the internet today I stumbled onto your site…I tripped & fell in love! I pinned a few things, & collected a few ideas… you do beautiful work. So thanks !!

56. #55 - Daisy says:

Hi Cathe, I recently put a crests and monograms book I bought for my dad up online. I was looking at other out there and thought you might enjoy some of the ones from this book too.