Creating Silhouette Portraits & Travel Scrapbooks

Do you scrapbook? I don’t. Wish I did. But finding this wonderful little how-to from the early 1900s makes me definitely want to start. If nothing else, I will enjoy just making and sharing them.
Who doesn’t love a silhouette? It’s due time I made a few of these with the kids. And the dogs if I can get them to stay long enough. Maybe even my grandmother’s ironstone pitcher, who would have thought to silhouette household items? A lost art.Click on images to download, save and print.

18 Responses to Creating Silhouette Portraits & Travel Scrapbooks

1. #1 - Kelli says:

When my son graduated pre-school they did a silhouette of him in black and white and then added cut paper cap and tassel to it in the school colors (Blue cap, gold tassel.) The way they assembled it I can take the cap and tassel off if I want to. I love it and plan on doing silhouettes at each of his graduations (Elementary, High School, College) and hanging them all together. I love silhouettes and had completely forgotten about them until his school did one!

2. #2 - Kim from The Sheep's Nest says:

Oh I love the travel scrapbook! I will definitely have to try that someday! I will add it to the pile of projects I want to do. 🙂

3. #3 - juanita de la vega says:

cool! thanks for sharing!

4. #4 - 50centlove says:

How "old skool" is a silhouette portrait! Did one in kindergarten and I clearly remember this. The teacher hung them up around the room all along the top. I remember arguing with a girl about who's picture was ours. I said that one and she said no that one is mine! I was mad. haha

5. #5 - Createology says:

Maybe you could take a photo of your dog in order to then do a silhouette. I never thought to do inanimate objects. What a great idea. I love the travel journal too. Thank you for sharing. Happy creating…

6. #6 - Mermaids of the Lake says:

Fun! My mom did me and my brother's silhouette when I was a small child. So cute.

Cool old scrap book instructions too. I do not do normal scrap booking. But if you go to our blog and look on our Let's get creative page you will see another awesome way to make scrap books out of paper bags. Really fun.

Mermaid Debbie

7. #7 - Evermore Organics says:

You always have the most interesting projects and things in your posts. Thank you for that!

8. #8 - Lori E says:

These are so fun. Interesting too.

9. #9 - Lori E says:

These are so fun. Interesting too.

10. #10 - Ann says:

how fun ! thanks for sharing these. I'm going to do both !

11. #11 - CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave.com in the Printables category today [15 Mar 09:34am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

12. #12 - Miss Tiff says:

I can't wait to try the scrapbook AND I just took silhouettes of my kiddies last night, seriously. Perfect timing. Thanks for sharing.

13. #13 - Michelle*G says:

That's pretty cool! I'm definitely going to try to make one of them soon. Thanks for the post!

14. #14 - Apron Thrift Girl says:

I too have always wanted to do this with the children but just haven't made it a priority. I really need to add it to my to-do-list before they are too old.

15. #15 - Heartstrings says:

Hi Cathy,
    Just wanted to post and tell you how much I love your site. I landed here totally by accident one day and fell in love! Your site is original and very inspiring!

16. #16 - *Ulrike* says:

I can remember having a silhouette done when I was little in school. They are so nice to have. I found some the other day in old photo albums that were my mother-in-laws. I think I'll frame them.

17. #17 - Christine says:

Very interesting vintage book excerpts!

I gave you a Sunshine Award for your blog, please stop by, http://lillybugblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunshine-award.html

18. #18 - The Flynns says:

As a huge fan of silhouettes, I couldn't resist posting this http://simplysilhouettes.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-came-across-this-on-just-something-i.html Thanks so much for sharing.