Crafty Paul(s), Then and Now

Check out this fun vintage find- 1908 repurposing at its best! West Oakland, Sept 9, 1908
Dear Mary.
How’s this for something new in Post Cards; only a car tag but I guess it will go through the mail.
I was awfully glad to get your letter and will write you as soon as there’s anything to tell here. There’s nothing doing just now –not that I know of anyway. Let me know how things go with you.
Sincerely, PaulI’m not sure what kind of paper car tag this actually is- auto, cargo/train? But it couldn’t be more cool. Don’t you just love how he wrote POSTCARD on the address side. I will now be keeping my eye out for other ephemera that could double as a postcard for sending a note to a friend. Way to go, Paul!

And speaking of Paul and paper…

My blog friend Paul Overton’s fabulous video tutorial on papercut portraits on DudeCraft has really inspired some wonderful work by his readers. Check them out HERE!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Crafty Paul(s), Then and Now

1. #1 - Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd says:

Thank You Cathe for showing the Sweet PostCard & Especially for the Link to Paul Overton's Fabulous Tutorial…. I have been wanting to do this is Applique for so long ~ Viola, Now I think I can!
    off to Thank Paul……
    Have a Wonderful Week
    Cheryl

2. #2 - ArtSnark says:

What fun!

3. #3 - Sophie says:

it's so recycle to use whatever on hand as a post card..of course it's has to have a size of paper to make it.
    Thanks for sharing the art. and the links..
    hugs,
    Happy new year to you.

4. #4 - Mod Podge Amy says:

Cool art – and I'm definitely going to have to do a dog portrait papercut! Oh dear, yet another project … Happy New Year Cathe!

:D

5. #5 - My name is PJ. says:

I adore turn of the last century post cards. I used to make shadow boxes out of them for people. Hey, that is ALMOST a craft! ALMOST! It was a couple of decades ago, but once upon a time I showed promise!

6. #6 - Christine says:

These are gorgeous :)

7. #7 - Karen says:

That is really neat! I love to read the things people wrote in letters and postcards, and this one is really great!

8. #8 - Mattie says:

I love that repurposed post card! I collect old postcards and I've never seen anything like that. Good find!

9. #9 - . says:

Dear Cathe,

thank you for sharing such a lovely ideas on your blog, I'm a big fan of your work, and as far as I can tell, most of my readers are too! Happy, happy, and creative New Year.

Tea from Hobbychic (Croatia)

10. #10 - Anna says:

I just found your blog!
    It's amazing! I love your creativity ideas…may I please use some of your ideas with pictures on my blog?
    With a link to you ofcourse!
    You can find me here

my blog is in dutch but I do have a translate button!

11. #11 - Pfeiffer Photos says:

For some reason these remind me of the Griffin and Sabine books, Cathe. If you haven't read them, do–you'll love 'em. Happy New Year to you! :)

12. #12 - Gonzo says:

I followed your link to dudecraft and was delighted to find the post about recycled leather belt flooring. I was inspired and made my own door mat and just finished it. I think it turned out quite well.

Originally, I intended to place an insert in the middle with our family motto ("No one attacks us with impunity" in Latin) and used your ornate book cover as the base for my design (thank you, by the way). I was completely unsuccessful in getting the iron-on transfer to work on my leather piece, an old purse from Goodwill. No matter how careful I was, it seemed to melt and crinkle/bunch and even slide around a bit even though I thought I was putting nothing but straight down pressure on the iron. It was a total disaster! Any tips would be really appreciated. I'd hate to see this centerpiece design go to waste (I can always add it in later).

Anyway, thanks for all the inspiration. I'm trying so many things I've learned on your blog. It's my favorite "favorite" and I think I may be annoying my wife just a little with all the new projects I want to do. This blog is hands-down the best I've seen. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

13. #13 - Cathe Holden says:

Wow, Gonzo, that was quite a comment, thank you!

Sorry you're having trouble with the transfer. Are you using transfers for DARK t-shirts? The regular ones don't work well at all.

Let me know, and I'd love to see a photo of what you're working on. You can email me directly any time.

cathe@justsomethingimade.com

14. #14 - Tara S. says:

This is adorable, thanks for sharing! Great to see how creative people were even back in 1908!

15. #15 - Anonymous says:

how fun to see that postcard, especially since I live in Applegate!

16. #16 - Bradford says:

Car Tag; is for railroad car. There is a form number, revision date and such at the top left.

A great find indeed! The writer could have used the modern divided-back approach with the message on the left and address on the right, but then we wouldn't have that wonderful fountain pen script over the colorful image would we?

Cheers,

Bradford

17. #17 - stephl says:

Great postcard! I also love to read old post cards and letters… it is so interesting to me to see the changes in communication, from printed word…to telephones…and, now with texts and twitter we are back to printed words!

I feel lucky (in a way…) that my grandparents lived in the same house for more than 50 years… and NEVER threw anything away….it was fun to deal with after their deaths.

But, I too have found some treasures…. a box full of 20 or so promotional paper tape measures, a case of promotional Miller Lite portable ashtrays is one of my favorites! There are also plenty of postcards…I have some now, and this blog is definitely inspiring me to do something fun and useful with them.

Maybe my grandmother would be proud that someone is finding value in all that old stuff!

(BTW: I am sarcastic about the amount of crap we had to deal with. My g-parents did not have a normal house….they had a circa 1900 home that was 3 stories and at least 25 or so rooms… Dealing with the estate I opened a door I had never noticed before…and found a whole room. Who looses an entire room?? It had been an upstairs kitchen they just shut the door one day and never opened again!)