Vintage Digital Weekend

Often mornings, after dropping the kids off at school, my friend Rose and I go for a nice long walk in town. We usually finish our walks with coffee and thrift stores. Today, at the thrift store, I scored some really cool antique camera film holders @ $4 each.It’s not that I collect old camera things per se, but I knew these beautiful wooden holders would make cool, industrial era frames for some of my vintage ephemera. (I did a search on ebay, there’s lots of these old frames out there.)Using sticky party-tack, I adhered the cards to the holders.Now, it’s just a matter of where and how to display them. The party-tack works great for me since I’m pretty non-committal with decor. I’ll change it up another time and tack on some of my old family photos and possibly add hinges to the frames to create a free-standing accordian piece.While I was digging through said ephemera, I scanned a few to share with you! Click on any to enlarge and keep for use in your projects, and have a wonderful weekend!I wish this could go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway, as there’s been a small issue with an Etsy seller: Please feel free to use these vintage images for crafts or whatever, whether you’re making personal items or making for items for sale. But please do not take these images that I offer for FREE and put them in your shop, online, or on disk for SALE. That would not be nice.

In case you missed the last Vintage Digital Weekend freebies, click HERE.

42 Responses to Vintage Digital Weekend

1. #1 - paperhill says:

those film holders are just beautiful, that is quite a find! enjoy your weekend!

2. #2 - ArtSnark says:

the film holders are too cool – love what you're doing with them

3. #3 - dawn says:

Love your project – what a great find! And so sorry about the Etsy seller. That sort of thing is happening more and more often. I found entire sheets of images from a lovely online shop scanned in and offered for free on a blog. With the copyright wording still on them! sigh.

4. #4 - stephanie says:

Those film holders are super-cool! Thanks for the idea. I need some new framing options for my apt.

5. #5 - Judy says:

What an awesome find! I have never seen those before. Great idea to place the postcards in them as well, they look so well displayed!

6. #6 - meg says:

fantastic find! oh and you can put the exposed sign in the bathroom! ha!

7. #7 - Peggy Houston, TX says:

These are just perfection… and now I have to have some! Thanks for sharing. It is very kind of you – I love that spirit.

8. #8 - Peggy Houston, TX says:

9. #9 - Diva Kreszl says:

What a wonderful project!!!

10. #10 - ExterminatingAngle says:

Yeah, but there are plenty of issues related to the etsy thing. Who holds copyright, either legal or moral. . .? Plenty of approaches to the issue, ethically speaking.

11. #11 - La Table De Nana says:

As always..thank you..I keep your images for personal use only and I thank you!!

Everything you do is just so creative and lovely!

12. #12 - TheresainMS says:

Lovely images; thank you for sharing. Hopefully the 'not so nice' sellers won't make it impossible for the rest of us to find great people like you. Have a great weekend!!

13. #13 - karlascottage.typepad.com says:

The cards are great framed that way! Too bad you had to add that notice to keep people from selling the images, you would think that people should know that. But some don't….

14. #14 - Myrna says:

Wow! You SCORED!! What a great idea to use them as frames..I did a similar thing with old wooden tennis racket holders I'd picked up at the thrift.
    As always, thanks for sharing your images…and your ideas. You are blessed to be a blessing!!

15. #15 - Thrifty Miss Priss says:

LOVE those fil holders! I've never seen them either.
    The free images are just beautiful too. Sorry to hear someone has tried selling your images of yours as their own! Not Nice!

16. #16 - Marsha's Mpressions says:

Cathe, this is very cool! I have never seen anything like this, but your are so right, they make great vintage frames!

17. #17 - Virginia Burnett says:

Again and again – you are the coolest! Thank you for being bold and trusting in offering so many beautiful vintage images. Karma comes around eventually.

18. #18 - SharDon Exclusives says:

What a great find! Who would think that up but YOU!
    Sharon
    P.S. I really really like your little stampy at the side of the cards. How did you do that?

19. #19 - The Redhead Riter says:

I've never seen film holders, so this was really cool.

20. #20 - marie says:

The film holders are awesome ~ what a great find!

Thanks for sharing the images. I can't wait to use them in some of my work.

21. #21 - .:Carola }i{:. says:

Really nice, never thought of that!

BTW your comment on the bottom about your downloads – totally fair and I couldn't agree more.

Have a nice weekend ! (^ᴗ^)❤

22. #22 - flyingbeader says:

LOVE THIS IDEA…and since I'm getting ready to head out the door for an auction, I'm going to keep my eyes open for the film holders. Never thought of using them as frame. Kudos to you
    dot

23. #23 - Crys says:

Hi Cathe – fairly new reader to your awesome blog! Whilst our styles differ, you are such an inspiration and I enjoy your posts so much! Thank you for sharing a piece of you with the world. :)

This week, Scriptorium offered a download of some victorian illustrations that I thought you might like: http://www.fontcraft.com/fontcraft/?p=1320 It just made me think of you and I thought you might enjoy them. :)

Have a wonderful day, and don't let those bad people ruin your (and our!) fun! :)

*hugs*

24. #24 - My name is PJ. says:

Believe it or not, I'd never seen vintage film holders before and known what I was looking at! Very cool stuff! You have a great eye and even greater imagination.

And, as always, your 'vintage shares' are awesome. Have a good weekend!

25. #25 - Kathy-Catnip Studio says:

I love the vintage film holders – just the way they are, as well as for display. Great idea!

Your vintage images are sweet, and I love to play with them!

26. #26 - Loudlife says:

Cathe – Those film holders are so fabulous! What a good idea you had, they look great!

27. #27 - Kimminita says:

Oh my…I did not even know filmholder like that exist!
    I uploaded a vintage free printable myself as well earlier today. Feel free to have a look at it on my blog.

Thank you so much for sharing yours.

28. #28 - chicroses says:

Another great idea..So glad you share. I appreciate it so much. Now I want to find some of those.

29. #29 - mitziscollectibles says:

Cathe, I love your frame idea! Each time I visit your site there's another fabulous project. I will start scouring our antique malls for similar frames, or eBay. Thanks so much!

30. #30 - gilstrapdesigns says:

I love going to thrift stores it's good therapy. My husband and I go all of the time he enjoys it just as much as I do. I love to shop for what I call hidden treasures. What a great idea with the vintage film holders and they display your pictures and cards really well you just never know what you might find.

31. #31 - Sandy Toes says:

Very pretty.
    sandy toe

32. #32 - forrestina vintage says:

Of course I love these, thanks!

33. #33 - dtarca says:

Very Cool Cathe! Isn't it nice to have the mornings back again? Hope the girls are liking school. I'm just discovering Petaluma…. :) These are adorable. Something I'd have looked at as well but I'd not have had a CLUE as to how to use them. Awesome!

34. #34 - FILIGREE MOON says:

Hi, Cathe! I'm new to the blog world and just wanted to thank you for your generosity in sharing tools, gadgets and information to boost potential for us new bloggers, and all bloggers! I have posted a couple of your gadgets and the link to your blog on mine and wish you continued success in all you do ~ Angela

35. #35 - xashee's corner says:

i have been without a computer for a few weeks but could hardly wait to return here. now it's "catch-up" time for me!! hehe
    you are soooooooooo CREATIVE!! thank you for sharing your AWESOME mind! :D Have a GREAT weekend!!

36. #36 - Down Comforter says:

Great find and great use of said great find! How awsome is that that you can change the pics on a whim!

37. #37 - Maureclaire says:

Those are just so beautiful and unique !

38. #38 - Julie Bouésso says:

Quite a steal! :-) Thanks for taking us along on your walk – for some reason I could picture it all the way! :-) Probably b/c I am yearning for some fall weather & thrifting w/a good friend & chatting in a cozy café over a hot cup of coffee! Cheers, Julie

39. #39 - Carole says:

I do collect old cameras, and I'd love to find something like that!

40. #40 - Bellamere Cottage says:

I've been here scrolling through your old posts….my, but you're a clever gal! Who would have thought these would make great frames? Well, that would be you, I guess! :-) LOVE it.

Blessings,
    Spencer

41. #41 - La Dolce Vita says:

brilliant!

42. #42 - Leslie Bard says:

I just wanted you to know that I have spent the last couple days on your website. I am a stay at home mom and appreciate all your free printables. There is so much inspiration here I am just in Awe of youi and your creativity. Thanks again.