Kanzashi Flower with Words

I know in my last post about Kanzashi In Bloom  I said we’d spend a couple of weeks on these flowers and meet up here later, but obviously I couldn’t wait. However, I still expect all of you to complete your assignments, and I will definitely be making more Kanzashi flowers, pushing the envelope each time and sharing with you along the way.

So, with book in hand, I made “Gramma’s Flower”, a gift for my mom. This was super easy and would work great with not only names, but I thought how wonderful to make a flower of encouragement with positive and loving words for a friend who may be going through a personal battle, such as cancer. Or a few flowers for the teacher with the names of her students. Everyone loves a personalized gift!

I won’t be giving a tutorial on how to make these flowers, that’s all in Diane’s book, but I will share the part about printing the names. Below is the basic layout for 6 petals. Click to keep.

Choose a light colored fabric that doesn’t have a pattern that would compete with the words. Using the layout as a guide, create squares and place names in the red area. I used 12pt. lowercase SandraOh font. Don’t print the guide, place it on a layer that can be hidden or removed when printing. Be sure to print your own square outlines, this will keep things accurate. Test your layout by printing a sample out onto plain paper and fold the petal with the longest word to make sure it will not fall into a fabric fold. Note: If I were to make one like this again, I would flip a few names before printing so as the flower petals turn, the words along the bottom don’t go upside down.

Then, cut a piece of fabric just under the size of your paper, tape along the entry end and up the sides a bit. (I used white paper tape, not showing up so good in the photo.) It took a few times for my printer to take the fabric covered paper, it helped if I loaded extra plain paper in the tray behind the piece I was trying to feed through.

Once printed, remove the tape, cut the squares out and start folding & pinning. The rest is in the book. I made and added a fabric covered button to mine and finished off the back with a brooch pin-back.

Diane posted a video tutorial of how to make another kind of Kanzashi flower, check it out! {LINK}

And one last thing…Hi Mom! Guess what I’m sending you this week!

32 Responses to Kanzashi Flower with Words

1. #1 - pinkpatrice says:

So cute! Love it!

2. #2 - chicroses says:

I love this flower. Just wished I had time to do these and everything you put up on your blog. Still not sure how you get the names printed out. I have no patience. But if you would like to you could check out my blog. I have painted a sign with white roses. I have a hard time getting any painting in with taking care of my granddaughter. Love your ideas. Your blog I have to visit everyday. Have I told you that before? Sally

3. #3 - whyte says:

I leave Google Reader for a few minutes this evening and look what I come back to! I just finished reading your last post about Diane's book and to also let you know I added one of your gracious, sweet email me blog buttons on my blog this evening. I love the vintage envelope style button! I ♥ your blog and your tips, tutorials and ideas, Cathe. Thank you!

4. #4 - Anonymous says:

I really do like handmade things and craft blogs,
    even though i do not make any thing from a blog post but i like seeing the pictures.

I added your JSIM to my feed reader 😉

5. #5 - Amber says:

What a neat idea. Great job. If I wasn't afraid of sewing I'd give it a try too.

6. #6 - Caroline B says:

You make everything look so easy….sigh! This daisy is so sweet, I like it a lot.

7. #7 - Loddelina says:

Beautiful flower, I love the idea of putting grandchildren's names on it – I never knew you could put fabric through printer!
    Thanks for the video link, it is realy a nice and simple gift to make.

8. #8 - My name is PJ. says:

It's absolutely lovely…and there are endless ideas for petal words, aren't there?

9. #9 - paperhill says:

that is so sweet! what a thoughtful gift. you're amazing!

10. #10 - Christie Cottage says:

So cool!

I love your blog!

11. #11 - SisterDG says:

Okay, talk about needing to go lie down!!!!

This is mind-blowing, Cathe. I love, love, love it. What an amazing, beautiful use of the technique. Your creative mind is so clever and original.

Off I go to shout this from the rooftops…

12. #12 - Corina at Down to Earth Mama says:

I am not usually a traditional crafty person (becoming more and more of one), but this idea is SO COOL. Thank you so much for sharing.

13. #13 - Paul Overton says:

Okay, Cathe Holden, you are out of control. You think you could turn down the cool factor a notch so I can go back to feeling good about myself?:-) No, but really, this is terrific!

14. #15 - Claire says:

What a pretty present! =)

15. #16 - pam says:

Cathy, I am completely in awe! What a great, craty, genius Kanzashi innovation!

I will put on my thinking cap and try to come up with something worthy for your photo gallery. But you are setting the bar awfully high!

Diane sent me a link to the "copper gourd" post and I became an instantaneous fan! Looking forward to following your crafty footsteps in wwcw!

16. #17 - Sabii Wabii says:

This is great. I love that as a graphic designer you created a craft with words.

17. #18 - Susan says:

This could be used in so many good ways. I love it!

18. #19 - Bette's Bags says:

How wonderful!

19. #20 - Dallas Designing-Diva says:

Wow.I'm sure your mom will really appreciate it!

20. #21 - Christine Edwards says:

Too cute!

21. #22 - Charmingdesigns says:

I LOVE this!! with the words…so neat! Thanks for putting out the link for the video, it was great too.

22. #23 - GeorgiaPeachez says:

That's stinkin' clever. I ordered my book today, can't wait. xo,suzy

23. #24 - casserole says:

Okay, I'm totally having to scrape my jaw up off of the floor. This ROCKS!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

(link will go live at approx. 10:00 PM CST).

–Anne

24. #25 - Carmen says:

Oh my! I just found you via the above Crafty Gossip link and I'm glad I clicked now. This is beautiful, it looks so effective. I'm definitely going to check out that video link! Thank you for sharing.

25. #26 - CreativeBusyHands-Scrapbook Freebies Search says:

It is lovely. Your mom will be happy. Thanks for sharing with us.

26. #27 - The Persimmon Perch says:

I love it so cute. I'm glad you added the names.

27. #28 - Anonymous says:

This is just gorgeous – I'm sure your Mum was so thrilled with it. Re the sticking fabric on paper to go through the printer – I recently found out about freezer paper and print my redwork patterns directly on to the calico. Have you tried that? http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/imagefabric.html Jackie in the UK

28. #29 - Gayle says:

A helpful hint for next time you want to print on fabric. IRON the fabric to a piece of freezer paper cut to exactly the same size. The waxed side of the paper will melt and adhere to the cloth – easy to remove when you're done! This is something that us quilters do quite often! Much easier than using tape.

BTW – Your flower is adorable!

29. #30 - Awnings Durban says:

What a beautiful flower. I love it!

30. #31 - Leanne says:

I like the way this came out. I’ll have to check Diane’s book for sure!

31. #32 - kathy says:

great post! thanks for sharing this! will definitely try this…