Back to School

Bittersweet. Today is 7th grade orientation for my daughters. Monday is 9th grade orientation for my son. Yesterday they were all in kindergarten. It goes by that fast.

We are picking up momentum heading into the new school year with the first day beginning on Wednesday, August 19 and although I will miss the lazy days of summer, I look forward to bringing routine back into our lives. This should be an especially busy year with all the new activities and more driving than ever. We live 20-30 minutes from the schools (depending on traffic), so I’ve resolved to a season of being on the road.

Are you looking forward to the new school year?

Grab and run with the darling antique image above, from a children’s book, circa 1900. Make something for the teacher!

17 Responses to Back to School

1. #1 - cakegirl says:

The older they get, the faster the years fly by. Just wait until college – it is over in a blink of the eye!

2. #2 - Julia Aston says:

Wow – your schools start early! the summer's not even over yet!?! What a great vintage birds image – thanks for sharing!

3. #3 - SmitoniusAndSonata says:

Yes , school begins here on Monday and so I'm back with the preschoolers too . Luckily it's only 10 minutes on the bike ….but I'm not sure I'm ready to say goodbye to lazy summer days , just yet !

4. #4 - Amber says:

School supplies have been and will forever be my favorite part of summer.

5. #5 - Jill says:

Definitely not ready! I have six kids and one now will be a Senior so I know the year will fly.

6. #6 - capturedtime says:

This is my last year of having my DD all to myself. She will turn 5 in November so I get to delay that bittersweet day for one more second. I mean season.

7. #7 - Beach Cottage Studio says:

My first little one is getting ready for 4K and we are excited! The bus will come by the front door and wisk him off to a new adventure Monday – Friday. Now what to do with the 2 year old that thinks he is 4 too!!

8. #8 - Libby Buttons says:

I always look forward to back to school. I am a firm believer that children ~ like other near domestic animals~are best kept kept in packs and herded by others.
    smiLes
    DarLie

9. #9 - Loddelina says:

I know what you mean -my three year old goes to kindergarten in september, a huge change after a small day care group of five children.

If we lived in France (my husband is French) my son would have started school at that age (not a very strict version, but they call it school non the less)

10. #10 - The Dragonfly says:

We have another three weeks until my little birds fly back to school. With a new baby at home, I am actually looking a little forward to the relief of having the other three in school.

I hope you'll be able to take your computer in the car so that when you're playing chauffer, you'll be able to create during your down time!

Best of luck to the middle and high schoolers!

11. #11 - monica says:

we have a few more weeks of summer holidays… so I'm not trying not to think about it too much. This year my little one will start school too so I feel kind of funny.

12. #12 - Meghan T. says:

I can't believe how big my kids have gotten Cathe and I am having a hard time with it. My daughter is starting college in a week….my oldest son is sophomore in high school and my youngest son is in 5th grade. AMAZING how fast it goes.

Yes I am anxious like you to get into the swing of things, love routines and all of that. I am ready to claim back my house and have some peace and quiet during the day!

I just found out the swine flu is going around the elementary school so I am crossing my fingers my son doesn't get anything because everytime we are off track he gets sick within the first week of school! UGH

13. #13 - Karen says:

Since I homeschool, I guess that that is for me lol. Actually, I'm getting geared up for school to start, getting the fall cleanup done and it feels GOOD! I just don't want to see summer end so soon and rain to come!

14. #14 - TidyMom says:

We start back to school tomorrow as well – 8th grade, and in our district 8th grade has a whole school to themselves (isn't that crazy), just built 3-4 years ago – so #2 is VERY excited for this year, but sad to see the summer come to an end.

They're about to start road construction that will last 14 months, and it's the road that our middle school and high school are on (we have to take the road, but cut off of it for the 8th grade) – so I imagine driving to school this year is going to be a real mess! my 10-15 min drive will probably end up like your 30+ min drive most days!

~TidyMom

15. #15 - Tricia Anne says:

I remember attending PJHS for 7th grade. Walking up the side of the hill to get to my locker! :o) Fond memories indeed. :o)
    Happy School Day!
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

16. #16 - Kathy-Catnip Studio says:

Hi, I'm a regular lurker, and I love your work and blog! I was tickled with this image; come see what I did with it:

17. #17 - JennerRose Photography says:

No I am not….to deal with it I have created this blog…