Saving Charlie Brown

In case you’re a new reader to my blog, let me catch you up to speed. I live near the county dump. I used to call it the landfill, sounded slightly more pleasant and less smelly, but let’s cut to the chase, it’s a dump. (Technically, it’s now a transfer station, but whatever.) However, it is hidden over a large hill, seriously rarely smells, and we do live in the most beautiful area in the country with the most desirable climate on earth, Sonoma County, California.
The dump is a 5 minute drive out of my way after dropping the kids off at school in the morning. They have a large shopping area of items such as furniture, old windows, books and just plain junk. I used to go much more often, but over the years, it’s gotten pretty popular with the antique dealers (of which I was one,) so it is very picked over. Now I pop in from time to time to just check out the books and see if someone has dropped off a treasure box of art supplies.

This is what I found today, 11 Charlie Brown paperback books. The tragic beginning to this story is that they were actually thrown into the gigantic paper recycling bin, (off-limits to the public for picking through) and rescued by a worker. Well, bless the worker! I love these books. I used to read them all as a kid and have been looking for them in shops for my own kids to read. And after all, (to add greater weight to the crime of tossing the books into the recycle bin,) we live in Charles Schultz’s homeland. It should be called Schultz County, but there’s that whole wine thing…

As soon as I can get to it, I will be sharing my other dump score today, a little sumthin’ for YOU. But for now, I gotta get to work. So check back soon.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Saving Charlie Brown

1. #1 - Vivienne says:

Score! Nothing was better as a kid that a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving or Christmas special. Woe to the child who showed up at school and realized the special had been on the night before and she missed them.

2. #2 - Tonje says:

What a great treasure you found! I found a treasure too on Saturday. Went to a fleemarked and found lots of books from 1850 and they cost about one dollar a piece.

Hope you will share more of what you have found!

3. #3 - Amy @ Living Locurto says:

I love your dump stories!! 🙂

4. #4 - Domestic Designer says:

Lucky lady! Can’t wait to see what else you have to offer!

5. #5 - Wendy says:

Why, why, why would someone put those books in the trash?! That just makes no sense at all. I’m glad you rescued them!

6. #6 - Anonymous says:

Yes! When I saw that photo of CB books in a pile, I actually got a flash of ‘sore stomach feeling’ that I would get from lazily laying on my stomach all afternoon reading those books. Fun, fun, fun…

–Vicki K.

7. #7 - Faye says:

WOW! you found a great treasure!Hope you have a great evening! Blessings, Faye

8. #8 - StunningAnnaK says:

How neat!

I’ve gotten some great finds out of the dump near my house in northern Michigan as well! Glad to see finds from other dump divers!

9. #9 - FitToSeeJane says:

I wonder if they have treasure hunting at our transfer station?
    I may have to have a look.

10. #10 - Cherry Tart Design says:

Awesome find! I love going to thrift stores and garage sales as you never know what you will find. My library also sells used books at extremely reasonable prices. I have a group of friends that are avid readers also so we swap books giving us more things to read. We’re saving money and trees!

11. #11 - La Table De Nana says:

Not only do you live in Gardener’
    s Heaven..But you have a dump that is Good Grief amazing!

12. #12 - Lisa Mann says:

Hey! I think I live in your neighborhood. (I’m on Wambold!)

Great blog!

13. #13 - My name is PJ. says:

Mega score, girl! Glad they were saved!!

14. #14 - Becky Brocato says:

We don’t have a dump, but we have Value Village and a couple of church thrift stores very close by. Always love to swing by for a look around, especially the book section!

15. #15 - Katie says:

Oh good, cause good grief Charlie Brown, what are you doin’ in the dump?! I didn’t realize Charles came from that area. I have to say, I dont’ recognize it from the air, guess it’s been too long since I’ve been there in real life. How sad…

16. #16 - Beansieleigh says:

What a lucky find! I have some of these books, along with anything related to Charlie Brown or any of the Peanuts Gang! These books were among the very few, that you could catch me reading without being forced into it, when I was a kid… and Good Grief!!.. here somebody was throwing them away in the garbage! Glad they were saved before it was too late!

17. #17 - The Polka Dot Pixie says:

Oh man!!! I LOVE Charlie Brown!!! I so glad those books were rescued .
    I really love your blog too! So much inspiration here!

18. #18 - Pamela says:

Recycling is great and all, but please say it ain’t so?!? Good thing someone saw a treasure and took action. Lucky you! Can’t wait for your other finds!

19. #19 - Autumn says:

I looove finding goodies for free/cheap/used-I’m SO glad someone rescued those for you!!

20. #20 - Ms. Jan says:

We do live in the greatest place on earth, don’t we!

21. #21 - Adirondack Metal Designs says:

I am so jealous that you have a place like this at your local landfill. I also wish we had a flea market. I sometimes go to garage sales and local antique shops, but you find great things!!!

22. Pingback: Funky Junk Friday Fix-Up: Red Wagon Tray | Just Something I Made