The Graphics Fairy and The Buttons

The Graphics Fairy You may already know about this amazing blog, it’s actually pretty popular. I like to think it’s been my secret source for some time and only now, because I just can’t keep it to myself any longer, am I willing to share it. It’s The Graphics Fairy, a blog full of free vintage images. I don’t know how she does it, but she finds the coolest old graphics, most in full color, and posts them on her constantly updated blog for FREE! (Did I mention they’re free?) And if you want a background for your blog, she does that too! (Free!) Just follow the links on her site.

Although I love most everything she offers as-is, I have been taking a few images and playing around with them in Photoshop to erase the text and then to Illustrator to add my own. With The Graphics Fairy permission, I am featuring one of these altered images right here, with more to come…uh huh, FREE! In fact, I took it a step or two further and I created some free PDF downloads for you to play with. They are the altered design made into labels for pretty button storage, because I know you have buttons. You can click on any of the round labels above for the enlarged JPGs to take home with you. And click on the design images below to open the PDF images and use as they are or enlarge or reduce elements as needed.

As far as a tutorial: print, cut and stick. That’s it.

A few tips: When cutting circles with scissors, you’ll cut more accurate when turning the paper and holding your scissors in one position. Also, I ink the edges of my labels with a marker to hide the white cut edge, it gives a more finished look. For labeling, either print onto full sheet label stock or use spray adhesive once the labels are cut out.

You can use the button labels on most any container. I placed the largest label onto a $1 craft store round wooden box and sanded here and there for a distressed look. I wrapped labels and bands on thrift store spice jars and labeled an old candy dish, courtesy of my friend Desirai. And lastly, I folded and ribboned the label topper over a small cracker jar found in Martha’s section at Kmart. You can also print the large lid image onto an iron-on transfer sheet and transfer to fabric, it will drape nicely and make a sweet gift for your favorite crafter.

And now, the photos. Have fun!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to The Graphics Fairy and The Buttons

1. #1 - alpenhimmel says:

OOOh! Thanks so much for sharing this. Although I visit the Graphics Fairy often, what you’ve given me is the ability to see the potential in these graphic images beyond the basic image. Thank You!

2. #2 - Becky Brocato says:

Great resource! Thanks for sharing so generously. You have such a sense of vintage design! Well done, always.

3. #3 - Sandy Toes says:

Very cute!
    sandy toe

4. #4 - marcieadary.etsy.com says:

Wow. Love them. You are awesome for sharing.

5. #5 - Blue Castle says:

You are so nice! Have I mentioned how great I think you are? 🙂 I love generous people, and free graphics is so perfect.

Thank you.

6. #6 - Suzy says:

Thanks for sharing once again, generous as usual. You have made the cutest things with them. Great for gift giving. I come from a family of seamstresses. They will love these!
    Thanks again,
    Suzy

7. #7 - Pfeiffer Photos says:

Thanks for another good resource!

8. #8 - Oakleaf Hollow Primitives says:

Just found your site through the “Graphics Fairy.” I like how you recreated the image for buttons. I have a kazillion buttons! 🙂 Love your blog, too!!

Thanks!
    julie

9. #9 - Boxwood Cottage says:

Hi Cathe,
    I just found your fabulous blog through The Graphocs Fairy.
    I love what you made of this beautiful round image! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!
    Warmest wishes from Germany sends you Carola

10. #10 - debi @ life in my studio says:

Cathe, Thanks so much for the beautiful labels, and the wonderful craft ideas! Soooooo pretty!!
    Have a great weekend,
    Debi

11. #11 - Nicole Austin says:

hi! found you on the graphics fairy site…this is SO cool! thank you for sharing!! i love buttons and vintage labels! thank you!

nicole

12. #12 - Gail says:

Wow Cathe!
    You are so very talented! Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful images, I can’t wait to make something fun with them for my best friend and myself!

13. #13 - Judy says:

These are great! Thanks for sharing! I sell a lot of buttons in my antiques booth and have been looking for something unique to put on the jars! These are perfect! This will so dress up my jars and my booth!!

14. #14 - Melissa says:

I have an antique button collection and this will highlight it perfectly. Thank you so much.

15. #15 - Lynne Laura says:

Hi Cathe,

Great idea and graphics too. I too go to her site and grab her free graphics, so generous of her. Love these and downloaded and will use them as well. Thank you!

Kindredly, Lynne Laura

16. #16 - xashee's corner says:

Found you through Graphics Fairy and GLAD i did! 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing this WONDERFUL gift idea! i KNOW i will be back often! hehe Have an AWESOME day! 🙂

17. #17 - Amy @ Living Locurto says:

These are awesome. I’ll be linking to your post. Yeah, I love her site, it’s on my list of fun places to find downloads.

18. #18 - Geralyn Gray says:

Thank you so much—-I just love this. My button jars needed something to wear!

19. #19 - jasminduft says:

Wow! Gorgeous button jars! Thanks a lot for the tutorial and pdf images!

20. #20 - Amy @ Living Locurto says:

After clicking over to her site… I realized it’s NOT the site I thought it was. Thanks for turning me onto The Graphics Fairy. How did I miss this one? ha. I wrote a post about it and included your cool button labels!

21. #21 - Christina says:

Thank-you so much for sharing this, I love it. I just came across your blog from the graphics fairy, but will visit you often. I have added you to my blog list.. Thank-you again..
    Christina

22. #22 - Halo Hill says:

You’re amazing! Thank you so much!

23. #23 - Jane Rhoades says:

I was wondering if you could/would change the word from Buttons to Thread? It would also be nice to have one that said Pins… I would be happy to pay!

24. #24 - violette says:

Wow! fantastic Thank you so much…from italy…Violette^o^

25. #25 - SundayL says:

Hi there, Thank you for sharing all that you do on your blog, it is all most interesting. I use some of the graphics from the Graphics Fairy and I like the font on the graphic you used, but can't find it. However, the font you have used for the word "Buttons" is just as effective and I wonder if you could tell me the font name please?
    SundayL

26. #26 - Cathe Holden says:

Hi SundayL,

The font I used for Buttons is Letterhead Fonts Signmaker:

27. #27 - dianaj says:

You have such style….live with me.
    Thanks for your giving heart.
    The box is precious.

28. #28 - Shandell's says:

The sources you find are amazing. Thank you for this one, I had to tear myself away.

29. #29 - Claire says:

Thank you so much for those beautiful labels !!!
    I just love it !
    My buttons thank you too ;o)
    Claire, from France.

30. #30 - SusanAnn Sheidy says:

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. #31 - Monika/buzsy says:

These are awesome! Love the colors on the labels. I have to try to print some out! :o)

32. #32 - Johanna says:

Thank you so much! These are wonderful. I have so many buttons and these would be just lovely to label them.

33. #33 - monica montes says:

love your site. you are truely talented and amazing to share with our awesome online crafting sisterhood. it has been a blessing to stumble across your site.

34. #34 - Kay Strubeck says:

Love them!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

35. Pingback: Desiree | Pearltrees

36. #35 - Treay says:

These are absolutely gorgeous. I love what you did with them. The Graphics Fairy is a real find, isn’t it? Now, all I have to do is motivate myself to actually do something with these labels…

37. #36 - Carolyn in Salt Lake City says:

Just found your site from the Graphics Fairy! In reading one of your posts I think you must be “local” because you were on KSL. Do you do any local business, like sales or anything? I’d love to come. Thanks for an awesome site, I love the button graphic. Just one question, my computer tells me it can’t read the pdf with the ribbon and labels on it. Any ideas? I’d love to add them to the round button graphic. Thanks so much, Carolyn

38. #37 - Hazel says:

39. #38 - Melinda Cieslinski says:

Just found your site through Pinterest. Love the buttons design – THANK YOU! Your site is definitely a keeper 😉

40. #39 - Hellen Edwards says:

Thanks so very much Cathe. I love these images and your generosity is SO lovely. Thankyou again. Cheers Hellen.

41. #40 - Hellen Edwards says:

Thanks so much Cathe–this is just so lovely! Hellen

42. #41 - Edie says:

I’m curious. Is there anyway to get a pink label and a yellow label? I am starting a button collection for my first granddaugher and her buttons are going to be pink and then a friend of mine had twin daughters and one is getting pink and the other is getting yellow to start their collection.
    Thanks.
    Edie

43. #42 - Cindy R Wagner says:

This is so lovely, I am trying to organize my craft stuff, it makes it so much more enjoyable to do with labels that are this pretty
    Thanks again for all the wonderful images

44. #43 - helene says:

un grand merci,j’aime beaucoup
    bravo et merci

45. #44 - Ellen Mais says:

Oh yes, I have buttons. Your PDF images will be wonderful. Thank you.

46. #45 - Joyce Simpson says:

Your button design is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us in the great program; I can’t imagine not being able to enjoy so much creativity that we share with one another.

Can this graphic be obtained?

Thank You!

Joyce

47. #46 - Julie Alsaady says:

Lovely labels. Many thanks for this. Kind regards from Qatar.

48. Pingback: Vintage Inspired Craft Room Organization - The Cottage Mama

49. #48 - LaRae says:

Thank you so much for sharing. Love my buttons but love them even more with a label like this!

50. Pingback: Wordless Wednesday

51. #50 - Elizabeth says:

I live in Northern BC Canada, north of Prince George, in the quiet forest and just love all arts and crafts. I just love your idea of displaying your button jars. I will visit The Graphics Fairy, it sounds wonderful. Thank you.

52. #51 - Alison Mary says:

I found you through Graphics Fairy via Pinterest and I am so excited to have found both sites in 24 hours. Thank you so much for the button labels, I am on a new project of making buttons also I am a bit of a button magpie. Only last night I was organising my collection thinking about labelling them, I am so pleased to find beautiful labels.
    Many thanks 🙂