Little Wire Bird Nests

Sweet tiny wire nests! So pretty added to product, collage, or even hanging from a delicate chain or ribbon and worn around your neck. Nests to me always represent motherhood, so I am especially fond of them. Above are photos of a couple on my Nest and Home bottles that were sold through my Etsy shop.
I use 24 guage wire, (brass, silvertone or sterling silver) and little cultured pearls or pearly-looking beads. You can find the little pearls through most jewelry/bead suppliers. I also have several different colors I found on jewelry from a thrift store.
Thread the beads onto the wire.
Turn, bend the wire around the beads threading back through itself here and there. You can’t mess this up, the more kinks the better. You can wrap bands of wire tightly around gathered rings of the nests for additional reinforcement a good idea when making nests for jewelry.

Using round-nose jewelry pliers or needle-nose pliers, bend, kink and twirl the wire further. I had a gold-tone leaf charm that I sanded down to the silver colored base and attached it with another small piece of wire.
Here’s the finished nest with extra wire curls extending and tucked into yet another watch case! {LINK}
You can patina your eggs with a golden-brown permant marker dabbed here and there as I did with the ones attached to the bottles.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

127 Responses to Little Wire Bird Nests

1. #1 - Pattie Cordova | Snack Attack says:

that is such a cute idea and with minimal amount of supplies. Thanks!

2. #2 - cabin + cub says:

Love the blue eggs, and the one in the watch case… sooo pretty!

3. #3 - Becky Brocato says:

That is just the sweetest thing! Too precious for words!

4. #4 - Blue Castle says:

That’s so cute! Love this idea.

5. #5 - Cristin says:

How adorable… and creative! Well done!

6. #6 - Amy @ Living Locurto says:

Adorable!!

7. #7 - Annie Pazoo says:

Cathe, if this isn’t the cat’s pajamas, I don’t know what is. Brilliant!

8. #8 - brucewood says:

I love my vintage bottle with the tiny nest. It is so perfect with my decor. Love Love Love it! Thanks Cathe. You do great work.

9. #9 - Tania Wood says:

oops I am on Bruce’s computer so his name popped up….It’s really me Tania!

10. #10 - Mei (WireBlissMei) says:

Very pretty! I often wondered how the nest is done.Thank you for sharing this.
    By the way, my name is Mei and I love to make wire jewelry too.

11. #11 - ElegantSnobbery says:

So pretty!! I will definitely try that. I would love to make a pendant for a necklace and a little nest would be adorable!

12. #12 - Sandy Toes says:

You are so talented..very pretty.
    sandy toe

13. #13 - dianem says:

Those are so cute. I really love it on the bottles.

14. #14 - marie says:

I love the little bird nest and I’m looking forward to trying one. Thank you for sharing the idea.

Also thanks for the email-me button. I really like how it looks on my blog!

15. #15 - Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

These are so, SO darling! I love them! Thanks so much for sharing this with us, I’ll be linking to this post.

16. #16 - Splendid Little Stars says:

wonderful post
    wonderful blog
    beautiful photos of beautiful projects.
    Thanks for the tutorial!

17. #17 - sassyglassdesigns says:

Those are adorable…really cute. Thanks for sharing.

18. #18 - Junie Moon says:

What a clever, clever idea and so well executed. The little bird nest is adorable.

19. #19 - Joy aka Goddessjoy says:

I’ve been wanting to try these. Thanks so much for a great little tutorial!

20. #20 - Kjmakes says:

It’s always really nice when artists share there idea’s. Thank you.

21. #21 - fatmasplace says:

thank you so much for this little workshop. wonderful artwork

22. #22 - Salihan says:

They’re gorgeous! Such a simple idea but the results are exquisite. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

23. #23 - PisforPaper says:

Thanks so much for sharing how to do this, I must give it a try! 🙂

-Heather

24. #24 - pandacub says:

Great tutorial – you make it look so easy! I’m definitely going to try this on the weekend!

25. #25 - MandMStudio says:

So cute thanks for sharing:)

26. #26 - onewhirleddesign says:

Wow nicely done! I enjoy your creativity very much.

27. #27 - Trudi says:

The best!!! Too cute!!!

28. #28 - Whisker Graphics says:

Cathe – Another fab crafty and creative demo! You ROCK!
    Whitney
    ps I hope you are feeling all better. 🙂

29. #29 - Salihan says:

Hey Cathe! I just saw these and it reminded me of your nests. Maybe you could make them too. They look delicious!

30. #30 - Redwife says:

And you think if “I” tried to do this, it would look as adorable as yours?? NOT! I’m gonna try but I know it will be a twisted mess…
    Man, those are just precious!

31. #31 - Bette's Bags says:

my daughter is getting married in June 2010. SHe is using a garden theme for her wedding. Your birds nest are wonderful and would make the perfect bridesmaids gifts if small enough to fit on a necklace, bracelet, or brooch. What do you think? Would you be able to come up with something like that?

32. #32 - Robin Lynne says:

I made something similar and glued it onto a hairpin, for a friend once. I think, since my name just so happens to be Robin, I should make another one for myself 🙂

Thanks for reminding me/sharing 😀

-Robin Lynne

33. #33 - emily says:

love how simple and beautiful this is! I am just amazed at what you create! And I love your old bottles, such a great use!

34. #34 - Mary Newton Designs says:

Ooh, I love the nest in the watchcase. I’ve seen several tutorials for making nests but yours looks easiest. I’m going to try it!
    Thanks!

35. #35 - Stephenie says:

Your nest is just so cute.. How clever..Love the little blue eggs.
    Just love your blog..
    Stephenie

36. #36 - Jennifer says:

Cathe, again, an amazing artwork tutorial! Even I may be able to make this…although before the lesson I wouldn’t have tried it!!

Betty’s Bags: I thing these would be so adorable for a wedding…what about starting now and making enough for wedding favors??

37. #37 - Miki says:

These are super cute! Thanks for sharing it.

38. #38 - Jane's Designs says:

I love it!

39. #39 - Cindy says:

I’m so glad I found your site through another blog! What great ideas here…thank you for sharing!

40. #40 - the 6 o'clock stitch says:

Oh, I love these! Feel free to share a tutorial at Make & Tell Monday! Here's the link to this week's post.

Jump in every week if you like!

You can also enter to win free ad space for next week's "Etsy Deals" Post. Details are in my post from today!

41. #41 - My Journey to Hope says:

These are just beautiful! Thank you for sharing how you did this!

-Michelle

42. #42 - xashee's corner says:

So CUTE!! thank you so much for sharing this WONDERFUL little tut!! 🙂 Have a LOVELY weekend!

43. #43 - Nadege says:

The birds nest is adorable, makes a cool brooch.

44. #44 - Barb says:

Cathe,
    Thank you so much for sharing your ideas, and for the wire bird nest tutorial. I have been trying to figure those out on my own, and see i am on the right track. Great idea to start out with the ‘eggs’ on the wire first!

Back to my stack of wire now. ;0)

Blessings,
    Barbara Jean

PS Love the button boxes and the wire nest bottles too.

45. #45 - La Table De Nana says:

I just made a little one with things I had on hand..Very Cute..Thank you!

46. #46 - Anonymous says:

I think these projects are so very pretty. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

Lena

47. #47 - Christine says:

It’s beautiful !!!!

48. #48 - once in a blue moon... says:

so cute cute cute!

49. #49 - Mari at Once Upon a Plate says:

La Table de Nana recommended your beautiful site. I love it, too! xo~m

50. #50 - Kathleen says:

Those are precious..Monique sent me..she is so talented too!

51. #51 - Suzy says:

Beautiful little idea! So creative but you make it seem so easy. I came by way of Monique’s blog as well.

52. #52 - Wendy T. Gibson says:

I googled ‘little wire bird nests’ yesterday and found you! Just in time for the first day of Spring! Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! You can see a picture of what I made with the nest at my blog.
    Thanks again! It’s just perfect!

53. #53 - Michaela says:

They are soooooooo cute! I put mine on an easter egg. Thank you for the inspiration you give me! Hugs…

54. #54 - Liv'nGood Jewelry says:

very cool – i’ve been thinking of making a bird’s nest ring but wasn’t sure how to get the pearls to lay right at the start – you showed me the “trick” – thanks!

55. #55 - Jane Of Handmade Jewelry Club says:

Nice creation. I would like to feature this in http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com.

Cheers

56. #56 - Anonymous says:

A very belated thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing directions these darling little nests. I was able to make them in necklace and pin form as little Easter gifts for my mom and daughters-in-law and everyone was simply enchanted with their utter cuteness!
    Bless you for being so generous!
    Sue
    (also backdoor_buttercups on Flickr)

57. #57 - BeadWhisperer says:

In case you’re wondering, I linked this post to my friendly neighborhood forum. (Hands that create dot com. I’m very much enjoying the wire nests. Thanks very much.

58. #58 - madison house designs says:

Thank you so much for posting this how-to! I bookmarked back in March and then made one last night to give to my mom for Mother’s Day. I think she’s going to love it. It turned out really cute. Thanks again!

59. #59 - zafiro80 says:

finally a clear set of directions..thank you so much!

60. #60 - Anonymous says:

You are so awesome for posting these wire nests – there are others who charge for this!!! Thank you for sharing so freely!

61. #61 - Lori Mendenhall says:

thank you so much! have wanted to try these for years but never got around to it. your tutorial make it so easy I finally tried it and viola got a great pair!!!! (they are on my earrings page if anyone wants to see them.)

62. #62 - Swati says:

They are so cute!! Thansk for the instructions. I will make them too 🙂

63. #63 - SharDon Exclusives says:

Dawn showed us her sweet nest and I had to come over to see how she made it. What a lovely tutorial. Thank you dear gal for sharing your talents with us!!!
    Sharon

64. #64 - Barb says:

That's a wonderful tutorial.
    Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Blessings,
    Barbara Jean

65. #65 - nancarts says:

I love these little nests with eggs! I have seen them elsewhere, but never instructions. I guess I'll have to give them a try..when time permits! Just found your blog thru feathered nest and plan to follow. Keep up the great work. Smiles and Blessings, Nancy

66. #66 - SharDon Exclusives says:

I adore the little birds nests. I found the "perfect" fresh water pearls at second hand store that were, you guessed it, robin egg blue! Then I came home and Dawn encouraged us to come over & I whipped up three birds nest in no time. I thank you so much for the instructions.
    Sharon

67. #67 - SharDon Exclusives says:

Just me again. I wanted to thank you for the wonderful directions for the nests. I have made a dozen or so and wanted to let you know that I am having entirely toooo much fun. I am going to post the three necklaces and bracelet that I created while on vacation. I am such a big fan of your blog!!!
    Sharon

68. #68 - Jeannie says:

OMG. This rocks. I have been using 24 gauge wire to do test runs before I used larger gauge. I tried larger beads and 20 gauge wire. After a lot of tears and destroyed wire, I like the results.

69. #69 - Judy says:

Just loved this tutorial, so easy to follow. Here is one of my creations.

Many thanks for sharing!

70. #70 - Brynwood Needleworks says:

Hi Cathe:
    Thanks so much for the tutorial for the Little Wire Bird Nests. I love them. I tried making my own today and have written about them and linked back your tutorial in my blog.

I really appreciate that you shared your tutorial and hope you don't mind that I've linked back to you.

Hugs and Blessings,
    Donna

71. #72 - inge says:

Hello,

someone on All Things Tim yahoo group mentioned this blogpost of you … thanks for sharing the tutorial on how to make these nests.

Your nests on the bottles look very delicate : really nice.
    I bookmark also you blog so I can come back with more time to stroll through your postings.

greetings from Belgium
    Inge

72. #73 - paperhill says:

those are just darling! i've got blue pearls & wire, i'll have to give it a try! thanks!

73. #74 - ~*~Magpie's Nest says:

Oh MY, what precious birds nests and eggs! Thank you SO very much for sharing!!!
    ~*~ Patty

74. #75 - liz says:

i love LOVE this. thanks so much for sharing!

75. #76 - Happydacks says:

Thankyou so much, I love this little birds nest so much – you are really nice to share this Cathe!! Chele x

76. #77 - Nicole says:

I so love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing 🙂

77. #78 - Heather - Dollar Store Crafts says:

Posting about this at Dollar Store Crafts (I have found these supplies at the DS!)

78. #79 - Care says:

I'm in love!!! I must make a few, today!

79. #80 - Sonja, Queen of Crafts says:

Absolutely darling… love the nests. Must try to make them, too. Thanks for the tutorial!

80. #81 - Ginger says:

What a sweet wire bird nest,Spring almost here love this idea ,thank you so much for sharing it with us.

81. #82 - Nicole Austin says:

thank you so much for sharing this. i've been so curious as to how to do this and now i know! thank you!
    nicole

82. #83 - The Charm House says:

Love this…. I posted a link to yours! Such a wonderful idea!
    Hugs,
    Yvette

83. #84 - Robin Z says:

I love birds and nests and the color of robin's eggs. I just tried making my first wire-wrapped nest last night (have had the wire for awhile with the idea in my head. . . just hadn't been brave enough to try) and it 'almost' worked – but not enough.

With your blog I KNOW my next try will come out just the way I want it. Thanks so much!!!

Robin
    ksyardbird

84. #85 - {All Thingz Related} says:

These are amazing! I love them!!
    ~Rebekah

85. #86 - Jennifer says:

I just made one of these for my M-I-L for mother's day. My first try was…less than inspiring, but my second one is adorable! Thanks for the easy and CHEAP gift idea!

86. #87 - LollyChops says:

LOVEEEEEE this!!!!

I have been wanting to try to make one of these forever!!!

Thanks so much for the awesome tutorial!!!!!!

HUGS!

87. #88 - Tyia, with roots and wings says:

Thank you so much for this free tut!!! It's so nice when someone will share their talents and knowledge and experience with the rest of us crafters. I am so excited to give this to my sister for her first baby. This means so much! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

88. #89 - Joy says:

Any chance you know approx how much wire you used for each nest? I'm trying to price it for a craft for my mommy group. Thanks! I LOVE this idea!

89. #90 - Jenny says:

LOVE it. I wonder if I have any recycled copper I could do this with. Thanks for sharing.

90. #91 - The Beading Gem says:

Just beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. I will link in a future blog post as my readers will surely love to check it out!

91. Pingback: Easy Peasy Pea Pod Pendant | Just Something I Made

92. #92 - pat barden says:

ijust made one–im excited–the thought of starting withe “eggs” never dawned on me–thank ye for theze great instructions

93. #93 - Yvonne Pierce says:

Thank you so much for the post!!!!!!!! I just got back from the local bead store and I made it in sterling for my daughter for Christmas. I can’t wait to give it to her.

94. #94 - Sherry says:

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. I love going through the various web pages and wondering how you came up with each idea. Thanks again..God Bless.

95. #95 - Pat Kaniarz says:

I don’t have a website. What I have is a little jewelry business for which I’m setting up biz cards. My biz name is A Nifty Nest and thus far I’ve used a little clip art of a bird on a nest with a musical note in the air above the bird. The bird looks so happy. I really like the clip, but I’m trying to give my cards a bit more sophisticated look. I’ve made a few of the wire nests with eggs and would like to take one of those and put it in a shiny watch case. Then I would photo that and use it for the logo. Maybe I haven’t looked far enough, but where do you get the watch cases?

• #96 - Cathe Holden says:

Hi Pat. I found most of mine at the Alameda flea market in the bay area, here in California. However, I see them listed all the time on ebay. I would try that, or call a local watch shop if you have one and tell them what you’re looking for. Your idea sounds fabulous!

• #97 - Pat Kaniarz says:

Thank you so much. I do have a watch guy in a nearby town…looks just like an old time watch maker (well, maybe a little younger)…and he just might have what I’m looking for. I’ll check eBay, too.
        I’ll send you a photo if I’m successful…well, and if I’m not.

96. #98 - Robin says:

I love this!!

97. #99 - blindy says:

Hi,
    I am having a ‘Do it urself’ fever since the past 3 weeks. I started with crochet and landed up lookin for such an idea.
    It is absolutely adorable n will definitely try this one.

98. #100 - Cassie says:

These are sooo cute and look great on these projects! Love your web site and all the wonderful things you share for free with everyone. You are an inspiration!

99. #101 - Robin boeder says:

I love these. I’m going to try making some of these this weekend at my art retreat at the beach! Thank you for sharing!

100. Pingback: my mother’s birthday « a.feather.of.sin's blog

101. #102 - darla says:

Little Wire Bird Nests might a neat to give all ladys in my that have childern for asmall mother day happy my mom been dead i guess 8 years but it make neat mom day gift for anyone ty . love you blog i try rember to keep coming back to vist . god blessu ty for shareing . if i make them i send apics of them, i think i have everthing to make them. my heath very bad so i pick agood day to play cant wait ty i dont sale my things i make i give them away asi amon disably ,but i love to share with others

102. #103 - Robin Noga says:

I have loved this since I first saw it, however each time I went to buy it the price would go up. I got all the pieces & now I have the how to part thats!!!

103. #104 - amina firdous says:

adorable!but i cnt gve it my so small by the way it’s really cute

104. #105 - Linda says:

I love this design! How much wire did you cut to make the nest?

105. #106 - Kelly says:

I just had to share that your blog is the first I’ll be following, although I click around ALOT! I just love that your work seemed to promote a certain serenity, an appreciation of nature and of olden styles/days…Thank you for sharing your gift with us! Amazing!

106. #107 - christine hilton says:

Thank you,thank you,thank you!!!!!

107. Pingback: Necklace for Macie « Garden Muse

108. #108 - Pleiades says:

Thank you, my sis in law is crazy about birds, she will love this!

109. #109 - Jennifer Gardner says:

I am wondering if you sell the nests separate. They are so cute. Would be able to pay just le me know that would be great

110. #110 - Karen says:

I just LOVED these! I made them today with my residents. (I work at a retirement community and the gals just thought they were so cute)
    Thank you for sharing your ideas! God Bless!!

111. Pingback: SPARK No.3 Class Preview: NESTING | Just Something I Made

112. Pingback: How to make a little wire bird's nest charm

113. #111 - joey ledlie says:

These are so beautiful. thank you so much for showing me how to make them. I am going to try and make a few for Christmas presents. Hope i can make them as pretty as yours.
    Hugs and blessings, joey

114. #112 - Sharyl says:

I attempted to make a birdsnest several weeks ago and it was a bit of a failure. It’s funny, but ever since, I’ve been finding the most lovely ones, and now these tutorials! My nest wasn’t so bad, I just couldn’t get it to hang right. It was a gravity problem, I eventually realized, I was trying to hang it from the wrong part of the nest.

Your nests are beautiful though, and I love the color combinations! If you are interested in all, and want to use as an example of what NOT to do, here is mine!

Thanks for these nice tutorials! –Sharyl

115. Pingback: Necklace for Macie | Oh no, not another hobby!

116. #113 - Rachel Ison says:

Your nests are really sweet!

117. #114 - kandre says:

love love love love this. thank you!

118. #115 - Cheryl Simpson says:

Who did you learn this technique from?

119. #116 - hayley miller says:

Your website is cute and I love the look of it all.

120. #117 - Joy says:

Very cute

121. #118 - pam roach says:

I just love these and made my first one. Thank you for the great tutorial. Question: is there a place either online or not- where you can get a good deal on wire? Have you ever used floral wire? Thank you again, Pam in Pentwater Michigan- on Lake Michigan

122. #119 - beth hamilton says:

You are so creative! I found you on Pinterest and love your site!

123. Pingback: 2010 Leftovers: Cleaning out my blog closet – Lansdowne Life